šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ginny

Help! My 8 year old Pek-A-Poo insists on eating her “poop” most every time she goes out. We’ve tried adding garlic, etc to her food & that didn’t work. Hot sauce on the poop didn’t even deter her. Other than picking up after each poop time, what can we do? Could it be the food — Science Diet Lite kibble? It’s a gross habit for a sweet dog!

#31054 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Well….you are not alone in this. There are many dogs that seem to “enjoy” doing this. I had a Cavalier (at the bridge now) that has been known to partake. What I did with her and it seemed to work was I added enzymes to her food. In her case I used a supplement called Solid Gold Seameal. I think sometimes it can be a behavior, attention getting problem. Sometimes it can be the food, I believe. In Stella’s case I’m not sure what it was because she was eating a high quality food, but the Seameal worked. A little while after I started adding it to her food she stopped doing it. I added a canned topper to her dry so put the Seameal in that. As for the Science Diet kibble being the cause, who knows….I do know that you could probably find a little higher quality food for her. I’m not a Science Diet fan, myself, sorry. But if you don’t want to change her food at least adding enzymes or a probiotic/enzyme supplement can’t hurt.

#31057 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I’ve heard that it’s because of undigested proteins in the stool, I’ve heard that natural flavors flavor the poop. I don’t know if any, all, or none of the stories i’ve heard are true, but I do know that for some dogs it seems to be a habit that nothing will break and for others it seems to be nutrition related. My dedicated poop eater stopped cold turkey when we changed him to a food that didn’t have “natural flavors” and added digestive enzymes, so I can’t say which one worked. But I do know that he didn’t all of a sudden get over his habit, because when we babysit a friends dog, he will always eat their dogs poop. So try a better food, try digestive enzymes, try anything, and pray it works.

#31093 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Yep, I agree Pattyvaughn!

#31102 Report Abuse
    Ginny

Thanks to you both for the info! I think we’re going to change her food, but also add the enzymes. Hopefully, this will work & she won’t have such horrible breath!

#31103 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Ah, there is nothing quite like poopy kisses.

#31105 Report Abuse
    Ginny

Ah, you’ve lost me there! I never get close enough to her mouth!

#31107 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

My dog isn’t very kissy, unless he has found something disgusting to eat. Then you are sure to get a kiss.

#31341 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

The best thing to do is scoop poop as soon as they go. That may mean leashing them but you may have to. We’ve had way too many poop snack ears here, including a couple of our current dogs so I know of what I speak. I’ve tried all kinds of remedies but nothing works.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.