šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Nancy M

I am eager to hear what some are doing to deal with this problem. I have recently acquired an 8 month old puppy who, while she rides very well in the car, gets terribly car sick. This makes it very difficult to take her places with me, obviously. I know that Dramamine can do the trick, but don’t want to use it unless it’s the only remedy. Several of my dogs had this problem on and off, but it was usually controlled or at least decreased with other measures; not feeding or water drinking beforehand, allowing plenty of ventilation, placing them in the front seat instead of the back, etc. Most of them grew out of it, or greatly improved. This girl might too, but I’d love to find something that really works in the meantime. Please give opinions and recommendations!

Thanks
    Nancy M

#52816 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Hey, Nancy!

Well, my Bruno used to have the same exact problem – he would literally throw up every 5-10 minutes when in a car… His record is 3 times for 15 min… I tried a lot too – we got him a booster seat to go in the front, pointed the AC vents right at him (he loves them), didn’t feed (still threw up bile), fed (threw up food), and so on. This lasted until he was about 8-9 months of age, maybe 10 tops. He did eventually grow out of it, right when I bought a box of ginger snaps to give him before car rides (a recommendation someone on here gave me – they may work for your girl!). So really, I guess just try some of those things, and see how she does. If you don’t want to give gingersnaps because of the sugar, try adding some ground ginger powder to her food before car rides, or just put some on your finger and let her lick it. Or, give her a small piece of fresh ginger (if she would eat it). Other than that, I have nothing… Just patience, lots of towels and paper towels in the car, on the seats, everywhere, and lots of ventilation…

Good luck, hope she grows out of it soon!

#52817 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

My new addition, Rupert, has motion sickness, too. The girls ride in booster seats in the back seat just fine so I was surprised when Rupert started drooling and throwing up while in his booster seat. I finally realized he was getting motion sickness, duh! Anyway, I took away the booster seat and put him in the front seat with a seat belt connector. After speaking with my holistic vet, I decided to put some lavender oil in the car around his riding area. She said it has calming properties. I think you can also put a dab behind their ears or on a bandanna/collar. I also bought some calming chews (two brands to try and both of them seem to work). I bought one from Ark Naturals and one from Vet Classics (also known as Natur Vet). The last two trips we took, one to the vet and one to do therapy dog work, he has done great. I hope some of these ideas help.

#52837 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Nancy, Ive read to sit them back seat in the middle, so they look out the front wind screen, sitting at the side & watching everything fly past isnt good makes them feel sick. Ive noticed thats what my boy does now, he sits in the middle of the back seat & looks out the front windscreen, so he must of work it out himself or he just like seeing whats in front of him…but he’s been better since he sits in the middle of the back seat & I dont do long drives with him, the safest spot to sit them is behind the passengar well in Australia thats the safest for anyone to sit but in America ur steering is on the opposite side so I dont know if it still applies, give it a go put her in a harness & connect the dog seat belt to the harness have it tight so she cant move from side to side & look out the side windows & just see if she’s better when she is looking at you driving & out the front wind screen..

#52845 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

A few ginger snap cookies did the trick for me.

#52846 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Yes, Marie….I’ve thought about the Ginger Snaps but was worried about the sugar and other ingredients, etc. I would get organic ones, but they still have some things I don’t like…..but then again, the calming chews aren’t perfect. And, he only gets them when he goes somewhere. How soon before the trip do you give the cookies? Thanks.

#52847 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Jan,
    I used these when Tucker was still alive. We were driving three hours, one way, to a dog party. I gave him two or three about a half hour before we left and he didn’t get sick at all.

This was about 8 years ago and to be honest, I wasn’t as up to date on whats good & whats not for the dogs so I wasn’t thinking about the sugar etc

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by InkedMarie.
    #52850 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Thanks, Marie! I give the calming chews about a half hour before, as well. Rupert has to go in the car a lot with doing therapy dog work, and our vet is an hour away. That’s actually when it seems to bother him the most. After I finish these bags of chews, I may still try the Ginger Snaps.

#52879 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

When I had a dog that got car sick, I made a ginger and beef jerky treat for her. Another thing that helps is to have the dog sit in a position where the most moving air will hit them in the face. I turned my a/c on full blast and pointed all the vents at her, or if the weather was ok I’d crank down the windows. Now you know how long ago it was, I had to crank down the windows.

#53566 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Nancy M…. Just found this article. Hope it helps!
    http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/motion-sickness-remedies-dogs/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.