Low Protein and low fat food

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Low Protein and low fat food

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Stacie S

I’m in a predicament!

Salem, my 13 year old Shiba Inu, had an attack of pancreatitis about a month ago. He apparently had the start of renal insufficiency prior to the pancreatitis attack.
    He now has to be put on a special diet with protein 13-15% and fat under 11%. There are prescription diets but I can’t afford them.
    Does anyone have any ideas?

#114955 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Stacie,
    are you on facebook? join the “Canine Pancreatitis Support Group” post a post asking what people are feeding their dogs that isnt a vet diet?
    Try & avoid some of the weight loss/management dry kibbles as they might be lower in fat but some are very high in fiber, over 5%, high fiber diets aren’t really good for dogs with Pancreatitis it’s more work on the pancreas & stomach…
    I dont know if you will find a pet shop food that is low in Protein 13-15% & low in fat aswell???….

Have a look at “Artemis Fresh Mix” Weight Mangement/Senior formula, the fat is 6%, the Protein is 20% & the fiber is low at 3%…it’s always sold out in Australia, I know Artemis is American made… Good – Luck

#115016 Report Abuse
    a c

My 11 years old miniature schnauzer had pancreatitis last year. My vet put her on Science Diet ID wet food for 2 weeks and told me to put her on Purina One Smartblend Healthy Weight formula.

I have switched her to Annamaet GF Lean fat for the past year with pretty good result. I am actually trying Wellness Core GF reduced fat now for the rotation and easyier access. I also add a little fresh vegetables, meat or sardine, digestive enzyme, and water to the kibbles. I keep a few cans of Science Diet ID cans on hand. If it looks like she is not eating or drinking, that’s my to-go food.

If you are looking for 13-15% protein and fat under 11%, that means 74-76% of carbs?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.