šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Labman
    Participant

My Chocolate Lab is 12 years old sleeps about 20 hours a day. She’s a Awesome dog really of course I’d love her to stay with me forever. However I know it’s not possible she has the common hip dysplasia and some arthritis and eye site could be better. she is not in pain she can not stand on 3 legs. any advice is welcome.

#11614 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Lab man –

I’m so sorry to hear about your dog, it’s not fun watching your best friend be in pain. I’m a little confused about your post though – you say she’s old and can’t stand on three legs, but that she doesn’t have hip dysplasia and isn’t in pain? I’m going to assume you made a typo and are looking for a joint supplement, otherwise I’m not really sure what you’re looking for.

For a senior dog experiencing arthritis I would recommend a supplement to maintain and rebuild the joints, a pain reliever and an anti-inflammatory.

I think Wysong has the most well-rounded joint supplements I’ve seen. Their “Joint Complex” has a blend of proteoglycans and glycosaminoglycans that will help to maintain joints, cartilage, tendons and connective tissue. Their “Arthegic” has several ingredients designed to moderate inflammation and pain including: boswellia serata, sea cucumber, turmeric, ginger, devil’s claw, yucca, red pepper and cetyl myristoleate. I have used both supplements myself and also on occasion for my senior dog. Personally if one of my dogs was experiencing severe arthritis issues I would put it on these two supplements or find other supplements with similar ingredients. Natural anti-inflammatories are a much safer option than steroids and NSAIDS that vets frequently prescribe – imo. They can be purchased here: http://www.wysonghealth.net/nsf-health-supplements.php.

I feel it would also be a good idea to start to give your dog a fish oil capsule every day – the omega 3’s in fish oil have an anti-inflammatory effect and the fish oil is a rich source of dha which senior dogs have difficulty producing.

#11615 Report Abuse
    Mike P
    Participant

I don’t know how much more you can do when your dog is old.My last Boxer was 12 and I had to help her up stairs,lift her in to the car,and lift her in to our bed for snuggles.She slept a real lot but we charished every day with her.One thing I found was she enjoyed the massage wand we had.We would put her on the bed and massage her shoulders,hind legs,back and she loved it.It seemed to give her short term relief and comfort.My current Boxer (5 yrs old)also loves the wand.She gets a massage about 3 times a week.Indian Turmeric (Mercola.com) is a anti-inflamitory and helps me with my fingers.I give my dog a capsule a day.Might be worth a try.

#11637 Report Abuse
    Toxed2loss
    Participant

Hey Labman,
    You didn’t say what you were feeding, in your post above. Not sure if you’ve posted that somewhere else on the site, but it is important. Your dog’s food is the foundation of her health.

Back before I knew better, I fed really bad dog food to my beloved pointer cross, Morgan. Ol’ Roy, I’m ashamed to say. I was just flat out ignorant!! When she was 12 she slept most of the time, she barely moved, just like yours. Well, my husband decided he needed a new bird dog, so he went out and bought a highly trained purebred, 3 yr old field registered pointer. The owner had health issues and he made it a condition of the sale to feed “high quality” food. Well, he knew more than us, but not as much as he should of, too. He was feeding Iams lamb & rice. A whole lot better than Ol’ Roy!!! So we put both dogs on the better food. Dang!!!! But after a few weeks that dog got up one day and followed my husband 1/4 mile out to the back fence. He turned around and saw her there, wagging her tail and was so worried he carried her (60 lbs) in his arms all the way back to the house. She was lively and healthier for 2-3 more years.

Fast forward to what I know now, feeding your dog THE BEST nutrition makes all the difference! (That’s not Iams!) its balanced raw. If you don’t want to, or can’t, feed raw, then a 5 star meat based kibble. Brother’s Complete is my best pick of kibbles. Hound Dog Mom has posted a lot of recipes and information on raw feeding under that thread, and I’d encourage you to check it out if raw is the way you’d like to go. Shawna is the best resource for nutritional information. Mike P & JohnandChristo rock for feeding kibble plus toppers! Dogs should be living 20-30 years. They were 80 years ago. But that was when they weren’t being feed corn & wheat based dog food. They also weren’t routinely exposed to toxins from flea & tick pesticides, worm pesticides, heavy metals poisoning in vaccines and being over vaccinated… Reducing the environmental toxins will improve your pups health, too! Supplements are just supplements. They can help a little, but they work best synergistically with optimal nutrition.

#11639 Report Abuse
    Labman
    Participant

I have made the cheap dog food mistake as well in fact yep Ol’ Roys I lost one of the best dogs I ever had to that garbage ( menadione) Kidney failure. I Started a petition against them on Change.org. lucky it only effected the one dog that day. We have been on the good food train since I am constantly researching food. At the moment they are on Holistic Blend Grainless they have been on it for about a week and a half. Raw might be the next step. I have to research that next. It’s really sad what these company’s can label food and healthy. when I was talking about 3 legs I meant if I pick up a paw to say trim it she can’t stay in the standing position. she not in pain per say. sometimes days are tougher then others. Omega 3 does seem like a good Idea. it’s so sad we have to sewlf educate ourselves most people think purina and Iams are great.

#83142 Report Abuse
    Carrie P

For your senior dog, you must try Fido Active Supplement and to improve your dogs health and to be much healthy than before. You must try it now.

#83143 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Anyone who takes supplements or gives them to their pets should see this recent Frontline Special: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/supplements-and-safety/

#83327 Report Abuse
    Jo K

My boy has arthritis in his elbow joints. Have had no luck with any oral supplements, but some relief with hyaluronic acid administered intravenously once every three weeks at the vet’s. Warning- this is not cheap.

#83732 Report Abuse
    Rick Dunn
    Participant

You should check out Dr Kruger Pet Supplements – Healthy Joint Formula to address hip dysplasia and arthritis. While nothing will cure your senior dog of these issues Dr Kruger Pet Supplements – Healthy Joint Formula has a 30 year track record of doing a great job of helping to relieve mobility issues. Along with the same vitamins, minerals, digestive enzymes and live cultures as the Everyday Formula, the Healthy Joint Formula also contains anti-inflammatory ingredients such as Glucosamine Sulphate, Yucca Root, Dandelion Root, Devilā€™s Claw, Kelp, Chondroitin Sulphate and extra Vitamin E to relieve chronic joint and muscle conditions, including arthritis (hereditary or traumatic), hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, (degenerative joint disease (DJD), spinal arthritis (spondyosis), sprains, or other conditions due to illness and injury. It also improves overall ligament and cartilage health..

It costs nothing to check it out!
    http://www.drkruger.com/collections/healthy-joint-formula

#84696 Report Abuse
    alice d

I would highly recommend trying DGP – the 100% natural joint and hip support that helps to ease the aches and discomfort caused by daily exercise, activity and aging. This product works extremely FAST – results can be seen in as little as 1 week. This product is completely natural – without the negative side effects that can occur with prescription medications. Please visit the website: http://www.dgpforpets.com for complete details and testimonials and reviews.

#85482 Report Abuse
    G.J. S

Hello,
    I am new to the thread, but would like some advise on dosing for Swanson’s Mobility Essentials for my 60 pound Standard poodle. She has been on human glucosamine and chondritin with MSM but none of the other anti-inflammatory’s discussed by Hound Dog Mom.
    It was her post of some years ago that got me to try this mix. We live in Canada so the pills have just arrived by mail and I wanted to be sure of a canine dose. Adult dose is 3 caps twice daily. I have been giving her 1 cap three times daily of her present supplement which equates to about 1500 mgm daily. She also takes an Omega supplement. There is some glucosamine, etc. in her Acana kibble but it is negligent. Would appreciate any comments you might have.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.