šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ferrari4204

I have been raw feeding my dog for two years, Natures Instinct patties and I was recently told about a store here in Chicago named Honden and Katten where they make their own raw diet formulas in the back of their pet store which is set up like a butcher shop. I decided to try their food out because it was less than half the price of what I was previously paying. My dog, pit bull mix, enjoys the food and seems to be doing well with it. My question is if anyone has run into a small shop like this making raw food. They did go through the process of following Aafco guidelines and it’s nice to see where the food is made and the ingredients I’m just wondering if their food is as good as the instinct I was feeding before. Like most here I will do anything for my dogs and firmly believe in raw feeding, switching food is a big deal for me and although I have never posted here I enjoy the form and was hoping to get some feedback.

#32850 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

You’ll have to post the ingredients and guaranteed analysis.

#32851 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Ferrari4204,

I’m not too far from you in NW Indiana. I feed a variety of foods including commercial raw and I also came across a local product that I’ve found very interesting and gaining some popularity locally. I haven’t tried it myself yet and need to do a little bit more research into the product. Problem is, they don’t have a website and basically do all of their business locally, through word of mouth. When I was wanting more information about their products, I called the business and left a voice mail. The owner promptly returned my call, but unfortunately I missed his and haven’t made an effort to connect with him since. I was impressed how quickly he called me back and his responsiveness to my call.

My local product is called J.J. Fuds. I remember when I was a kid and JJ Fuds was a local butcher shop with a master sausage maker at the helm. Who knew there was such a thing as a master sausage maker, but there is. From what I understand, the family has over 100 years of sausage makers and their fine German craftsmanship has been passed down for generations. Kinda cool ~ artisan products are special.

My local operation is still owned by the same family. They prepare their raw dog foods in a USDA inspected facility and all of their raw meat and bones are USDA inspected product as well.

So, small local business, no advertising and no shipping. I have found a couple of websites that’ll ship the product, but am guessing they must also be local and their prices are higher plus the added shipping cost makes it pretty expensive. The company seems to be fine with their local niche market.

It’s very affordable and half the price of other commercial raw diets. The manufacturer delivers the product himself to some local pet food stores and groomers straight from their processing facility.

So, I haven’t tried my local product yet; but, now that you reminded me, I’m putting it back on my to-do list. : )

Here’s a sample ingredient list from JJ Fuds Tender Beef Chunks Dinner:

Ingredients:
    Beef, Beef organ meat (Heart, Liver, Kidney, Tripe), Fresh Whole Eggs, carrots, Celery, Sweet potato, Flax Seed, Cranberries, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Suppliment, Vitamin B-12 Suppliment, Niacin, Iron Sulfate, Vitamin A, Acetate, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Monoitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Sodium Selenite

#32858 Report Abuse
    Ferrari4204

Thanks for the responses. Here is the guaranteed analysis
    Crude protein 13%
    Crude fat 11%
    Crude fiber 2%
    Moisture 71%
    Ingredients: chicken, chicken bone, chicken heart, chicken liver, chicken gizzard, sweet potato, pumpkin, squash, broccoli, apples, blueberries, cranberries, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, salmon oil, coconut oil, dehydrated alfalfa, dehydrated kale.

Seems very comparable to what I’ve been feeding. Price and service of this shop is amazing so I think I’m going to continue using them unless someone compels me not to.

Thoughts on ingredients?

#32865 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I would definitely use it. I don’t think I would make it my dogs exclusive diet, but I would definitely use it. Add fish oil or some other source of quality omega 3s.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.