šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jeanne G

American Journey growth was recommended to me by a reputable company, but I am concerned that although a 5 star dog food, it is not specifically large breed growth, just growth. They know these pups are Great Pyrenees. Do I need to be concerned with this? The breeder is adamant about large breed growth food. Thanks.

#112627 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

You usually have to ask the company directly about this. If it doesnā€™t qualify then wellness core puppy and Fromm large breed puppy are good foods for large breed puppies too.

#112630 Report Abuse
    anonymous

/forums/topic/zignature-for-large-breed-puppy/#post-112460

Nutrition in Large Breed Puppies

Hope this helps! excerpt below, click on link for full article, also you can ask a question there. Please note, there are no veterinarians affiliated with DFA
    Nutrition in Large Breed Puppies
    Posted on January 10, 2010 by skeptvet
    It is widely known by veterinarians, pet owners, and dog breeders that large breed puppies are at greater risk than other breeds for developmental disorders of the bones and joints, including hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, osteochondrosis dissecans (OCD), and hypertrophic osteodystrophy (HOD).[1,2] The breed predisposition for such disorders indicates a strong genetic component, however environmental factors can also influence the frequency of these disorders.[2,3] Nutrition during the growing period (birth until 10-12 months) is one of the most important factors influencing the development of these skeletal disorders. [2] Unfortunately, there are many myths about large breed puppy nutrition, so this article is an attempt to separate these from the real facts about developmental nutrition in large breed puppies.

#112639 Report Abuse
    Jeanne G

Thank you for your help.

#112643 Report Abuse

I would ask the company for the actual calcium levels. Thereā€™s a calculator on this site you can use to then see if it is suitable for giant breed dogs. Some people also insist that giant breed dogs should never be on a puppy food. I would do a bit more research and at the very least, find a company that has a longer history making dog food than American Journey.

#112645 Report Abuse
    anonymous

You’re welcome. Check out the comments and various articles at that site (skeptvet)
    I have found the site to be very helpful.
    Nothing is being sold over there, absolutely nothing.

#112799 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Jeanne-

I would not recommend American Journey for a large breed puppy or any dog for that matter. It is a chewy.com owned brand and chewy.com refuses to state who manufactures the food. Red flag to me instantly.

Find a company that makes a food that actually states “large breed puppy” on the bag. It would also just be easier to feed whatever your breeder was using. That or use a food from a larger realiable company like Purina.

DO NOT EVER put your puppy on an adult food before they are done growing. This is an old practice that was done BEFORE the development of appropriate large breed puppy foods. Adult foods are not designed to support a puppy through growth and will have far too much calcium and phos for them causing rapid growth.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.