Labrador Puppy

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition Labrador Puppy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rachael C

Hi apologises if there is already a post regarding which puppy/dog food is the best but I am rather new to all this.

We are collecting our 8 week old Labrador puppy called ‘Charlie’ next week. He is currently on IAMs puppy food. When I researched puppy food to find the best online deals it opened up a whole can of worms. Lots of different brands started to grab my attention. Which would you say is the best dry food. As much as the ‘raw diet’ sounds appealing it is just not achievable. I am a busy full time mummy of 5 children ranging from 6-years to 2-years so do not want to commit to that sort of high maintenance diet.

I would be very grateful of any help. Never had a dog before

#38852 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Most foods on here that are 4-5 stars are trustworthy. Be sure to find one with as much quality protein as you can. Avoid by-products and fillers like corn, wheat, and soy. Diamond makes the most affordable 4-5 star foods (I buy Kirkland from Costco. Made by Diamond, very similar to Diamond naturals, and only about 25-30$/40lb so very economical), but many people avoid anything by that brand due to recalls.

Also be sure plenty of stimulation, training, and exercise comes 😉 I’d recommend finding a group obedience class. You’ll learn TONS of tips to last a lifetime, and it’ll help get the pup on the right track, as labs are very mischievous when not given a job. I grew up with a lab, so I can’t remember much about puppy phase. But I’m getting a lab pup this weekend to take care of for two weeks, so I will very much remember the chewed up tables and wet carpets, I’m sure!

#38902 Report Abuse
    Julie

Hi Rachael,

We’re getting our golden doodle in two weeks and have been doing a lot of research, too. I found this thread invaluable: /forums/topic/large-and-giant-breed-puppy-nutrition/

There’s a list of foods on page 15 of the thread.

Labbies are wonderful!! I grew up with them and we lost our 14 year old lab last summer. Have a lot of patience and give him a lot of exercise. They are fantastic with kids and quite energetic. Just keep the shoes off the floor and give him proper chew toys :).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.