šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    BarnabyJones
    Participant

any recommendations for a mini schnauzer who is starting to have flaky skin and is currently eating natures balance fish and sweet potato?
    Thanks

#20537 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Nature’s Variety Instinct has a number of different protein source foods, so does Nature’s Logic.

#20541 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

We are doing good on Nature’s Variety the LID Turkey one so far. Horrible allergies before! If you notice also that the Nature’s Balance isn’t fish and sweet potato, it is SWEET POTATO and fish. I just can’t see how a diet mostly sweet potatoes is a good thing. The doctor recommended that but I just didn’t want that for my dog.

#20552 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

somebodysme,

Do you also give fish oil and coconut oil for allergies? A Pugvillager is having good success with her pug’s allergies with colostrum and quercetin.

#20560 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

I am giving her cod liver oil, the jury is still out on coconut oil as it seemed as if when I gave it to her, her eyes started to water. But I’m going to stop using it until all is clear and add one thing at a time. Also the 1/2 of a sardine seemed to cause her eyes to water…UGH. She’s on so many vitamins and stuff I’m going to have to get another vitamin/pill holder for all her pills…HAHA!

#20566 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

somebodysme….just an fyi, the Instinct LID foods have coconut oil included in their formulas. I’m using the Turkey, but have a small bag of the Duck and the Lamb to rotate with later. Laverne is doing well, but I think she really needs more fiber (those dreaded anal glands) so I’m adding it in. I have several different kinds…Metamucil Clear and Natural, THK’s Perfect Form, some Fruitable’s pumpkin and a supplement called Glandex that has quercetin in it. I’ve been using either the Glandex or Perfect Form. Too early to tell if it’s gonna help. The dogs have only been on the food goin on 2 weeks. They love it! If adding fiber is all I have to do, then fine lol. I have also been adding canned foods and trying to stick to Turkey as the protein atm. I haven’t added in any omegas as of yet.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 10 months ago by Mom2Cavs.
    #20568 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

OH OK, thanks for the FYI, so it probably wasn’t the coconut oil. The oil I have is the pure organic stuff from the health food store. I wonder if that would be different from what they are using in their recipe? It’s just hard to know when I see her eyes running if it’s something I gave her or maybe it’s something in the air? NV makes her stool hard but it’s not causing a problem and is actually helping to keep the glands cleared out because it’s firm. She had always had an issue with slightly soft stool and gland stuff leaking when she’s sleeping. With NV there’s no issue…that’s a GOOD THING! šŸ™‚

#20631 Report Abuse
    BarnabyJones
    Participant

after hours and hours of research, I just bought Precise Lamb and Garbanzo bean formula.. fingers crossed

#20649 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

Good luck Barnady, let us know how it goes. There are so many foods out there it’s mind boggling!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.