Information Please

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Information Please

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    leamlass

I would really like to change my dog’s food from dry kibbles to either freeze-dried or some other healthier form of food, but I am on a limited income being a widow and are not sure what to do. I already try to feed her the better brands that I can afford, but I think that raw will be better for any dog.
    Can anyone help me with this.

#162222 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

leamlass I’m not sure how big a dog you have since freezer dried is somewhat expensive. I have Chihuahuas’ so it doesn’t break the bank. However, I stretch the freeze dried by giving small amounts of kibble to make up for the caloric requirements. Other times I will give small amount of kibble with home cooked. That being boiled white meat chicken, boiled egg in morning some lean steak, lean very low chop meat (90% fat free), boiled salmon, string beans, carrots, watermelon etc. These all agree with my dogs in small quantities and really are real food that they should be eating.
    So I got my two SLOWLY used to different brands and different proteins. Again VERY SLOWLY one at a time for a few weeks . They lick their bowls.
    These are the brands that they do well with and are in supply at my local Pet Supply store. I stick with the ones the DFA advisor gives the 5* . They are a little lower in fat. They are all freeze dried. However the frozen would be more cost saving..
    PRIMAL Turkey/Sardine, Rabbit, Duck
    Stella Chewy’s Chicken(I give home cooked so don’t use too much), Rabbit, Venison Blend
    I also give freeze dried treats in Bixbi and Open Farm treats freeze dried.
    I alternate with Stella Chewy’s raw coated kibble and Open Farm grain free kibble.
    Always looking for freeze dried to add to my rotation but mine do very well with good checkups and no tummy upset with these brands. Hope this helps.

#162234 Report Abuse
    Chipy
    Participant

Leamless, it’s so great that you are considering to switch from kibble to something healthier. I know what it’s like to live on a strict budget and understand how expensive life can get. In my experience it is more economical to feed a home-made diet (raw or cooked) than feeding commercially processed pet foods. You also get the benefit of understanding where each ingredient comes from (dog food recalls have been super scary lately)!

We switched to home-made meals years ago and it was the best decision for our dog and my budget. LOL I am happy to share some resources that have been super helpful in guiding us to prepare balanced, home-made meals.

Dr. Dobias has created a free Natural Diet Course which contains videos and articles full of information on this subject;

https://peterdobias.com/pages/course-rawdiet

His online Recipe Maker will help you build healthy meals for your dog with the ingredients you have available. It provides guidance on amounts of each ingredient and which ingredients are best;

https://recipemaker.peterdobias.com

The key is to offer a variety of both proteins and vegetables, and add essential nutrients (non-synthetic, whole-food based supplements) to help fill in any nutritional deficiencies;

https://peterdobias.com/collections/adult-dog-essentials

I hope this helps to get you started on this journey. It takes some time to learn the basics but the energy investment will definitely pay off when your dog is super healthy thanks to natural nutrition and you get to save on unnecessary vet bills.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.