I and Love and You Dog Food gets 5 stars but doesn't make editor's list?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum I and Love and You Dog Food gets 5 stars but doesn't make editor's list?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Pamela W

Recently lost my 6 year old labrador retriever to liver disease. Now trying to find a nutritional and low containment dog food for my 10 month old puppy ( I was giving my 6 Year old Blue Buffalo Salmon). Have been cross referencing Dog Food Advisor with *********** and found the brand “I and Love and You” to receive 5 stars from both. However, it did not make the Dog Food Advisor’s Editor’s Choice but still received 5 Stars from them. A bit confused??
    In addition, most off the brands on the Editor’s Choice List score poorly on ***********.

#111355 Report Abuse

Please keep in mind that currently, there are more than 340 dog foods rated 4 stars or higher on our website. Yet (by design) Editor’s Choice includes a much smaller selection — currently, just 72 brands and sub-brands.

There are many reasons a particular brand may not be included on our lists.

For example, in most cases, a company may not have met all our guidelines. Or more rarely, its agents may have been unwilling to reveal important manufacturing information.

Or we may be aware of unfavorable information about a company. Or we may have received tips from industry insiders that disqualify certain brands from inclusion on our lists.

In any case, you should be able to find a more detailed answer to your question and many others on our Editor’s Choice FAQ page as well as our How We Rate Dog Foods FAQ page, too.

Regarding the controversial website you referenced in your comment…

Until *** becomes more transparent with its test data and its controversial claims have been verified by an independent third party or by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, we ask readers to refrain from posting any further references to this organization or its opinions anywhere on this website.

#111356 Report Abuse
    Jenny Rellick
    Participant

l am sorry about your dog. Mine too. I urge you to go grain free for treats and food because of the liver disease they can cause. Please read this article to protect your pup: /dog-food-industry-exposed/grains-in-dog-food-2/

The ‘star ratings are based exclusively on an analysis of the label, with 5 stars awarded to foods with a high estimated meat content, minerals that are chelated, low fat , and only healthy ingredients. The Editor’s Choice foods, in contrast, are based on the safety practices, transparency, and integrity of the manufacturer and the food processing plant. Mike Sagman has done exhaustive telephone surveys of the major manufacturers of 4 and 5-star food lines. One reason “I and Love and You” may not be listed is if they would not discuss the recall below:

/dog-food-recall/i-love-you a-dog-treats-recall/

If they answered, their issuance of a recall or strategy to prevent contamination may not have been sufficient. If they use the Diamond processing plant, they are disqualified. You can nominate the I and Love and You food for Mike Sagman to investigate, but he might have already disqualified it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.