Hypoallergenic dog food

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Hypoallergenic dog food

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Glenn G
    Participant

Hello,

I have a 7-year-old female Bichon Frise and a 10-year-old male Bichon Frise who are both on Rachael Ray Dish hard dog food and Freshpet soft food. I started both foods around 3 months ago. They both took to it without a problem and are still eating it, but a couple of months ago Abby started chewing on her tail, which I thought was the groomer cutting her too short there, but last night Toby chewed his tail badly, almost down to the bone, and I am not sure it is the food or if he got bit by something or what is going on. Again, this time it was a couple of weeks from the groomer, but she did not cut them short this time, so I am not sure what is going on or what I should do. I did give Toby a Benadryl, which totally knocked him out. I would appreciate any suggestions.

#176186 Report Abuse
    Johannes L
    Participant

How much has the Benadryl helped, or is it too soon to tell?

FYI, Benadryl (and its generic) are available in topical form both as a cream and as a gel. The gel has an alcohol base that evaporates quickly. That might prevent Abby from getting knocked out and provide local relief,

Has anyone taken a detailed look at the skin where she has a problem? I realize that it sounds like the area is already somewhat damaged by her chewing. Just wondering if there was a way of limiting the scope of the possibilities (insects, other injury, etc.)

Does she have any other areas on her body that appear affected? My first thought is that if it were an allergy to something she is eating that it wouldn’t be limited to just the tail.

#176249 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Is it possible that the groomer is using a shampoo or conditioner which irritates her skin? Perfumes in these can be causing this. Also my groomer had put a powder perfumed scented after her cut. She scratched like crazy after that. I request NO powder now and I always shampoo her myself before grooming with a mild shampoo which contain NO perfumes.
    Don’t forget to investigate any cleaners/shampoos you use on floors and rugs. Flea bites my also be causing the chewing of her tail.
    Please let us know if you find any solutions.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.