I just want to share with all I had a tragic situation with my happy, healthy and strong male pit bull this past weekend. He vomited all of his dinner and then some Friday night. I was worried he ate something that upset his stomach. Then on Saturday he looked so miserable and refused to eat which never happens. He vomited a little on Saturday night and then was when I began to really worry. To him to the vet next morning they did xray and found nothing but kept him all day on fluids and antibiotics then I took him home. I still felt something was not right took him back the next morning left and then returned at 3pm. I told the vet I felt like something was stuck in his body. This was all I could come up with she decided to do an ultrasound of his organs. This is when she discovered an object stuck in his intestines had had to do emergency surgery to remove a piece of cow hoof. My poor dog suffered terribly from this for four days and now has to be restricted to no jumping, running etc along with a neck collar for 14 days and then will have to go back and have staples removed. I really suggest not to give your dogs these chews. I have for years with no problem; but started noticing they appeared a lot thinner which my dog cracked this into pieces and swallowed a piece before I could get the chew away from him. Just dont want this to happen to any other dogs.
Gee sooo SORRY for your boy, I’m so glad you listen to your gut…he had a blockage & no food was able to digest into a poo…. I never give my Staffy any of these new air dried cooked animal body parts, he has IBD & this breed are aggressive chewers & can demolish a full cow’s carcas if we let them, I’m soo glad your vet listen to you & did the Ultra Scan, I hope she learns from this & can save another dog when this happens again cause it will, rawhide is known to do the same thing, dogs swallow it & rawhide is leather & doesn’t digest & can cause blockage….
Now he has to get better & not get any infection in the intestine & eat a real bland diet, usually the vet puts them on Hills I/D vet diet or you cook his meals just while the intestine heals …. Do you belong to any Pit Bill or AM Staffy F/B groups?? best to post photos & what his stomach area looks like now & show what did it, (Cow Hoof) there’s a good Australian f/b group called “Oz Amstaffs share the love not the hate” group https://www.facebook.com/groups/604328586364329/
Thank you Susan
I was really scared and I’m not in the medical field so I went along with the vet of course hoping they were taking the best course of action. To be truthful they were first concerned with how they were going to get paid and put my baby’s treatment on hold until they had a credit card and $500 deposit.
This just tore me up because the estimate for treatment the day was $950 which consisted of a hospital stay and putting him on IV fluids and administering medications and one x-ray which showed nothing. They told me I could pick him up at 5:30 and he was doing better to just keep an eye on him. I could see he was not better but just stabilized to go home.
I was terrified because this was Sunday night and his last meal which he vomited all of it Friday night. When we got home he would not eat and barely was drinking water and he was shaking while laying and sleeping again.
I called the vet next morning and told them I would be there w/in 30 minutes they said ok.
When my dog Quasimodo and I got there we were put in a room for almost an hour and no vet or tech came into check on us. I was really getting upset so I decided to take Quasi out for a walk to see if he could poop. He did urinate a little and ate some grass. I went back into the vets office and they said the tech had come in but since I was not in the room they had to move on and that I was on the overflow list. I asked them when could I come back so that a vet could see my dog and they said 3:00 that day.
I was searching for answers because I felt lie the vet was not really treating this urgently.
I saw the vet Dr Weaver and told her I thought there was a blockage and what could they do to check that’s when they did the ultrasound of his organs and say the blockage. She indicated they need to do surgery Now! and again they wanted a credit card and to be paid in full $1250 first.
The rest is history and hopefully my dog will not have too hard of a time for the next 14 days and recoup well.
They did say feed chicken and rice and gave me a can of food. He finally had his first poop the second day after surgery.
Have you ever heard of feeding a dog baby food my friend does this when her dog is sick.
I will try to post some pics
Can someone tell me how to post pictures?
Hi, just read your post, it was in my junk folder, god I would of been freaking out & demanded that something was done ASAP, sounds like you were at a big ER vet, to be so busy….How is he doing?? I bet you he was glad to have a poo after having a blockage…
If you scroll down, right down to the bottom right side of page, you’ll see
“Contact Us” click on that & then you’ll see all these links to do stuff, the first link is ” How can I Upload a custom image”….
Thats a picture of my poor boys belly….not pretty and today is the first day since his surgery he started acting like himself. It put a smile on my face 🙂
Hi, gee he’s a good looking boy, he’s beautiful….I want another one, they’re beautiful dogs, so smart, loyal & strong….
The wound looks awful & red, that will start itch as it heals, did the vet say to bath the wound in warm salt water & then rinse off in warm clean water twice a day ?
Make sure the wound is healed properly before having the staples removed, I’d wait a few extra days just incase it’s not fully healed..
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.