How to feed my dog now that her bladder stones were removed?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health How to feed my dog now that her bladder stones were removed?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    flovlt
    Participant

We have been feeding our dog Science Diet C/D since her stones were removed. I really think this food has a lot of junk in it. Does anyone have any advice for me. My vet seems to steer all his patients to prescription brands of food that he sells. My dog has gained so much weight on this. His answer was to feed less 1/4 cup twice a day. She was a 9lb. when she started on this now she is pushing 14. Oh when we started her on c/d we were told to give 1 1/2 to 2 cups per day. Any ideas would be a great help. Thank you

#12073 Report Abuse
    sisu
    Participant

Science Diet CD has 413 calories per cup. According to their feeding chart a 10 lb. dog should receive 3/4 to 1 cup per day. Dog food manufacturers often over state the amount that should be fed to sell more product. For example, my 15 – 16 lb. dogs get a little less to a level cup of a food that is 415 calories per cup. Feed 1/4 cup twice a day and the weight should come off.

Link to previous DFA review and discussion of Science Diet CD.
    /dog-food-reviews/hills-prescription-diet-cd-canine-dry/

Hills Science Diet site with nutrition, feeding and calorie information:
    http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-canine-cd-canine-urinary-tract-health-dry.html

#12122 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Hi Flovlt,

This link may be helpful.

http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.com/avhc/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=587755&sk=&date=&&pageID=1

You didn’t say what stone type your dog had but this covers the most common types.

#12152 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi sisu –

I don’t think dog food manufacturers “over state” the amount that should be fed to sell more product. I’ve actually had the opposite experience – my dogs generally eat much more than what’s recommended on feeding charts. There’s no standard when it comes to how much a dog should eat as there are so many variables, so most feeding charts are just a ball park figure. According to SD’s feeding chart a 70 lb. dog should eat about 4 cups a day @ 413 kcal. per cup that’s only 1,652 kcal. per day – my 70 lb. female eats 2,500 kcal. per day.

#12217 Report Abuse
    Jackie B

Dogs have different reasons for forming bladder stones. You need to figure out what type your pup had so you can choose a food that is low in the mineral that contributed to the formation. Also I recommend feeding exclusively wet or moist food, and getting a circulating pet fountain. The more moisture moving through the system, the better urinary health.

#12243 Report Abuse
    flovlt
    Participant

Thanks everyone ? We are adjusting and doing things a bit more in line with better health in mind for our little one. Thank you to all. flovlt

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.