šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer S

I’m confused about Horizon Legacy Puppy. It’s listed on the Editors Choice list for large breed puppies. I received the bag in the mail today and it clearly states on the bag that Horizon does not recommend feeding it to puppies who are estimated to be over 75 lbs adult weight. Why would this food be on the Editors Choice list for large breeds? The calcium ratio seems fine. Help! What other reason would Horizon have for not recommending it if the Ca is good?

#113049 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

That is strange! Have you tried contacting Horizon directly?

#113050 Report Abuse
    Jennifer S

Great idea, I’ll give them a call and see what they say.

#113059 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

Hi Jennifer,

Sorry for the confusion. Thanks to your sharp eye and your comment, we’ve now corrected the associated data tag. So, it should now be fixed.

It appears Horizon changed their website AAFCO statements since the last time we updated Legacy. We’ll check all the other Horizon products in the next few days.

Thanks so much for the tip. Much appreciated!

Mike

#113119 Report Abuse
    Jennifer S

Update:
    I talked to the Horizon company and they said that they don’t recommend it for large breeds and they were surprised to hear that Dog Food Advisor had it listed specifically for large breed puppies. I tried to get her to go over why it was not okay. We went over the Ca/Phos ratio and it seemed fine. The main point she had was that it was high in protein and large breeds need to have slower growth. I get this, although from my research it looks like high protein really doesn’t affect growth the way that some think it does. Anyway, I’ll be using up this bag and seeing how he does on it, then moving on.
    If anyone else has any thoughts about why it might be bad (besides protein) please let me know!

#113127 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

As I posted in the above comment, Horizon Legacy Puppy is recommended for Feeding Type 1 animals (small/medium breed puppies). We do not recommend this dog food for Type 2 dogs (large breed puppies).

That is because the Horizon Legacy website states: “Horizon Legacy Puppy Food for puppies is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for growth except for growth of large size dogs (70 lbs or more as an adult)”

Horizon does NOT recommend this food for large breed puppies is because its calcium content exceeds 4.5 grams per 1000 kcal required for the product to meet AAFCO guidelines.

Please be sure to read our article about “How to Choose the Best Large Breed Puppy Food“.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.