🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lilli S

Hello everyone! I am new to this website, but I see so much good information here so I was hoping you could help me!

I have scoured the internet (with all different search terms) to try and figure out how much I should be feeding my pup (my “Pup” who’s 12!)? We rescued him last year, and he was an owner surrender (she had to move and they wouldn’t allow pets – breaks my heart because he was 11 at the time, and he was definitely treated very well).
    I’m sorry I digressed!! He has never liked his kibble – and I have tried EVERYTHING. The vet isn’t concerned about his weight – and as long as he’s doing well, she wasn’t concerned about the kibble.

I decided to cook for him and so far, he loves everything! But I dont know if I’m giving him the proper amounts of food (trust me, I searched and searched). Right now his proteins are chicken, ground lean beef (or a little steak if we have it for dinner), brown rice, mashed sweet potatoes, mashed up fresh carrots, some spinach. I’m sure you all have experience with other food that you can suggest. AND what I really want to know about are these supplements I see that are pretty much whole foods and you just add a protein.

This is all so confusing for me. I was at the point where I was going to buy kibble and grind it up to sprinkle on his food, but then I saw these products (ie. The Honest Kitchen dehydrated food). I’m sorry I’m all over the place, but any of you can decipher my book, I’d be so appreciative!

Just a note – He’s a maltese, 12 years old – very spunky! He just can’t go for long (or even semi short) walks etc. because he has disc issues in his back, and needs to be on rimadyl or he can’t go up the stairs 🙁 .

Thank you so much! Looking forward to any and all suggestions!

#133558 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

I have a senior also. She will be 17 in June. At this point she won’t eat anything but my cooked food. She will eat only dark meat boiled chicken. I throw in low salt green beans and canned carrot pieces. I buy lean cuts of london broil and shred into tiny pieces. I bought a bag of Purina Pro Plan . It has very tiny kibble and I tried to push the meat in it to get the taste but she just picked around and only ate the meat. So I gave up on any kibble. When we have salmon I broil for her and she loves that also. I give low salt natural peanut butter. Oatmeal mixed in with shredded mini wheats(found this on tufts heart diet treats since she has mitral valve disease-low in salt). She used to get a hard boiled egg in morning or even scrambled but she puts her nose up at that now also. Please try Bixbi Rawbbles. They are very tiny crunchy pieces of freeze dried. I get chicken/salmon and I am happy that she at least eats a few of those for proper nutrition. It must have a good taste to her because she won’t touch any other freeze dried. So maybe you can get a small bag and give that a try. Not sold at petco only pet supply stores. My stores always takes back if they won’t eat. The very least they’ll give you a credit. Hope this helps. I know how hard it is when they get picky as seniors. I sleep better when I feel she eats good that day.

#133571 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

just forgot to say the oatmeal is original with no flavor.

#133588 Report Abuse
    Lilli S

Patricia,
    Thank you so much for your suggestions – and I will definitely look into Bixbi Rawbbles! He used to love instinct – and even the freeze dried pieces – but no more. He’s eating great, and he loves eating the food I cook him. I just want to make sure that I’m feeding him the proper nutrition. Found out last night that he loves flounder! He had it for breakfast and boy did he gobble it down! lol
    Thanks again and i’ll let you know what I find!

#133591 Report Abuse
    Lilli S

Patricia –
    Sorry – i’m rereading your post – sounds just like Mojo! One day they love everything – the next day, not so much. I found roasted chicken mixed with brown rice, and just a yolk mixed in worked for him. (let’s see the next time I try it lol ).

I think the sweet potato love is coming to an end as well. I can’t give him chinks of any vegetable because he wont even entertain the thought!
    Do you feed your girl cooked or uncooked oatmeal? I made him an oatmeal, peanut butter, pumpkin treat – he wouldn’t even look at it! lol – Pretty sure its the pumpkin!

#133594 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Lilli as long as it’s roasted chicken I cook. Just to make sure it’s not salted. She has enlarged heart from mitral valve disease. Xray showed no edema or congestive heart failure. She is a Chihuahua so they are very prone to the mitral valve problem. Symptoms usually start as they age . She also has a collapsing trachea causing her to cough within last six months. sShe was doing great until then .when coughing got worse and worse making her of course exhausted. This was very hard on there heart also with all the coughing. So vet cough suppressant med. . I only give her the 1/4 at night. This has really helped. Not coughing anymore at all and she’s active again.Weather was warmer today with no wind so she even walked around whole backyard .
    Yup, she sound just like your Mojo. She always had boiled breasts but the last few months only eats dark meat. She’s even now getting picky with the dark meat. The steak/london broil she still eats enthusiastically as well as the fish. I pray this lasts.Going to try the flounder for her. Usually wait until we go fishing off party boat in fluke season and they always get some if we’re lucky to catch any.
    The oatmeal is just quaker oats instant plain where you just add hot water and let cool. I make it more runny for her and then crunch up the mini wheat. It has sugar on it but low in salt. Maybe you can try that trick to make it tastier. Also read below:
    What Type of Peanut Butter is Best for Dogs? Generally speaking, any peanut butter that doesn’t contain xylitol (or chocolate) should be fine for a dog. It can be a good source of protein and healthy fat for your dog — in moderation, of course.)
    So maybe you can take the kibble and roll it in the peanut butter ? She went for this trick for a little while then would just start sniffing it and realized I was up to something. lol So now I just give her a little off a spoon. Well actually a big glob because I feel so good watching her enjoy this. Let me know if any of these tricks works.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Patricia A.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Patricia A.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.