đŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    elaine a

Looking for a high protein, grain free (can be raw) food for my diabetic maltipoo. My vet put here on Hills W/D and now she’s itching, scratching and biting herself. My other maltese has turned “red” since she insists on eating the same food. Any suggestions please. (I assume because she is diabetic, she needs high protein – so I’ve been told)

Elaine

#85469 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

First, stop feeding that food immediately. Order from Chewy.com “Primal Pronto Nuggets”, they deliver in 2 days. It’s freeze dried, just crush squares and let a bit of warm water soak in. No freezer mess. i highly suggest avoiding vet prescription foods at all costs.

#85471 Report Abuse
    elaine a

thanks – I ran, not walked, and got the Primal. Fingers crossed it works.

#85479 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

There’s alot of canned foods that are high protein/low carb (more so than kibble). Look at the ones rated 5 stars.

#85487 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Elaine-

Please discuss ANY changes to diet with your vet before switching off the prescription food. Diabetes is a case by case situation and not all diabetic dogs need the same things. In fact a customer of ours was interested in Primal for her diabetic dog, however the vet had told her that her particular dog needed low fat to manage the diabetes. Primal ended up being way too high in fat and thankfully the customer dodged a huge bullet by not buying it.

None of us here have examined your dog and we were not the ones who diganosed her diabetes, therefore we are not the best people to make recommendations for foods.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.