Help with dog food aggression but not his food

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum Help with dog food aggression but not his food

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Matt W

I adopted a dog from a 80-year old woman that passed away. The dog is a pinscher (not doberman, possibly bulldog) that weighed 16kg. She used to feed him around the clock, 24/7. He had his own dog food (low quality) but she also gave him chicken she cooked, fish, sweets, rice and god knows what else. Because she was old she let him out twice a day without a leash. He went around the neighborhood eating whatever he finds.

When I got him I had to put him on a leash. He only eats dog food (acana) and he weighs now around 12kg. He still needs to lose a bit more weight. My problem is when we are eating he barks a lot because he used to get a plate full of food and not anymore. The main issue though is that when food drops on the floor he eats i right away, even if its garbage like a cheese paper that happened today. I read online that when you take the dog away from he food when he barks (time out) it can help but he tried to bite me and ripped my pants (I wasnt injured).

I don use violence and I remained calm but I am not sure what else I can do. I can always send him to training for I would rather find a way to deal with it at home. He is 8 years old (male) and was never taught simple commands, I just taught him to sit when called. He is not aggressive when he eats his food but he is a bit aggressive when other people in the house are eating and he is not getting a plate like he used to for a number of years. He is a very calm, friendly dog until food is involved (not his).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#134696 Report Abuse

anon101

He needs to be removed from the area where you are eating meals before you sit down to eat, at least by a doggie gate or put him in the car as long as you can see him from the window, but not in extreme weather, during your mealtime.
    Or crate him (if he can tolerate it) during meals.
    Same thing when you have guests over. If he bites someone you will have serious problems.
    Consider getting a basket style muzzle, he won’t like it and you will have to be with him when it’s on.
    Maybe give him one bite of kibble afterwards as a reward, and praise him for being good.

Also he must be removed from the kitchen when food is being prepared, at least by a gate.

I have never used a trainer, I suspect they will just tell you what I did plus they are expensive.

• This reply was modified 2 days ago by  anon101.
    #134718 Report Abuse

anon101

PS: Ignore the whining, barking, begging, and the sad eyes. HE IS NOT STARVING.

However, do not ignore anxiety and panic, some dogs that have never been crated cannot tolerate it and may hurt themselves trying to get out. That’s why I suggested a doggy gate, so he can still see and hear others. Don’t put him behind a closed door, he’ll go nuts :-/

How about a raw carrot to chew on? Some dogs like them and they are low calorie. No more than 1 a day.

Not baby carrots, they are bleached and can be a choking hazard due to their size.

Take him on long walks as tolerated, a game of fetch? He may be eating out of boredom.

#134730 Report Abuse

anon101

Another thought, keep a harness and leash on him at mealtimes and when you have guests over so you can lead him away from where food is being served without having to put your hands on him. Then put him behind a gate or in a crate.
    Dogs tend to behave better in general when on leash.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.