šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    neezerfan

If I see one more person with a bag of Beneful in their cart I’m gonna scream! I really want to say something but I don’t want to come across as a weirdo or creep. I’d like to be helpful and kind, not condescending.
    Today at Costco I saw someone take the Beneful but I didn’t say anything. I noticed it’s the same price as the Nature’s Domain, but it’s a bigger bag. I also saw a woman looking at the Kirkland Cuts in Gravy and I did volunteer that it’s a good food at a great price. Her husband said it’s cheaper than the Pedigree they’ve been feeding. So I felt good about that. I think they did buy it.
    It’s even harder at the grocery store because there is not much of anything there to suggest as a better alternative.
    Any thoughts from the hard core dog foodies here that aren’t meek like me?

#23442 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

You know what, I have a big mouth and I don’t shut up but when it comes to unsolicited dog advice, I shut up. Any time I’ve tried, I’m met with resistance. I admit that I don’t have a way with words like Shawna & HDM do. I met a girl with two Great Danes; she feeds Beneful. She said its a good food and she can’t afford more. I walked away because I really wanted to tell her that she shouldn’t have two huge dogs if all she can feed is Beneful.

If people ask me or talk dog food, I pipe right up.

#23452 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Marie….I’ve done both. I’ve spoken up and I’ve been silent. It just all depends on the “vibe” I feel coming from the other person. Once I saw a man take a huge bag of those chicken jerky treats that have been a problem (don’t remember what the brand was exactly) and put it in his cart. I just couldn’t let that one go and spoke up that it was a shame the store still had them on the shelves when they were causing a lot of problems for dogs. He was shocked at what I told him and in the end I believe he put them back. I also told him of several sites online where he could find out stuff about recalls, etc. He seemed very appreciative. I also helped a few people at Petsmart. One was a younger couple who was adopting a pup from the adoptions they were having that day. They seemed kinda lost and were wandering around trying to buy supplies. I steered them in the direction of the “good food” aisle and told them about some of the different foods and why they might be good choices. I also suggested a certain kind of harness (instead of collar) that was easy to use. This was a very small breed and I told them about trachea issues when using a collar, etc. Again, they were very thankful. Then there was the lady who declared Science Diet was the “best” food going because her vet said so….she overheard a conversation between me and a friend talking about dog food. We tried to convince her otherwise but it was clear that we were wasting our energy….so I just shut up about that one. There have been others that I’ve not spoken up about just because I could sense that it would do no good. Sometimes it’s hard to not come off sounding like a know-it-all snob, too!

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Mom2Cavs.
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Mom2Cavs.
    #23462 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I was in the exact same jerky situation, but I had one of my kids with me and I saw it in someones cart. I said to Peter “That’s that chicken jerky that’s been killing all those dogs.” Then I turned toward the dog food area and you could see a display of 3 different brand that were all bad. And had a teachable moment right there. Loud and clear I said “You know how you can tell it’s the jerky that’s killed over 200 dogs? Look at the fine print under the UPC. It will say made in China.” Then I started listing the brands that I had heard about, and said “Yep, there they are. I can’t believe they still sell those things.” The lady grabbed up the bag and started reading it, went to put it back, and before I walked away was stopping someone else from getting some.

#26196 Report Abuse
    rogerharris

No, I don’t make myself silent if the matter is on my dog. So, you should give the better option to other person whom you see that he or she chooses wrong brand.

http://www.compundiapharmacy.com/

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.