Help ASAP!

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum Help ASAP!

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Zach M

Ginger just ate a whole box of milk duds! What should we do?!?!

#52664 Report Abuse
    GizmoMom

Although milk duds are milk chocolate, they are not as toxic as dark chocolate. I’d take her to the vet anyways. Do you have any emergency vet you can take her to?

#52665 Report Abuse
    Zach M

I do not have an emergency vet. Should I wait until morning?

#52666 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

How much does she weigh? There’s only chocolate (milk chocolate) on the outside, the middle is caramel.

According to the Merck Veterinary Manual, one ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight is potentially lethal.

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/dogs-and-chocolate-get-the-facts

Chocolate Toxicity Meter: http://www.petmd.com/dog/chocolate-toxicity?mobi_bypass=true

#52667 Report Abuse
    Zach M

She is 50 pounds, give or take a few

#52668 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

How many ounces in that box of Milk Duds?

#52669 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Look how far down in the list of ingredients chocolate actually is in Milk Duds:

Ingredients : Corn Syrup; Sugar; Vegetable Oil Cocoa Butter, Palm, Shea, Sunflower and/or Safflower Oil); Nonfat Milk; Dextrose; Chocolate; contains 2% or less of: Brown Sugar; Whey (Milk); Mono- and Diglycerides; Sodium Bicarbonate; Milk Fat; Salt; Resinous Glaze; Soy Lecithin; Tapioca Dextrin; Vanillin, Artificial Flavor.

I don’t mean to sound as though I’m minimizing the situation. I’m certainly not. I’d be watching her like a hawk if she were mine. If getting her to the vet right now was an option I’d take her. One of the links I shared included the phone number for the petty poison control center. I’d call and talk to them right away.

Is she having any symptoms currently?

#52670 Report Abuse
    Zach M

I don’t know the ounces, she ate most of the box. So I will wait until morning and see what happens.

#52672 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Pet Poison Helpline: 1-855-213-6680

#52690 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

How is Ginger this morning, Zach?

#52692 Report Abuse
    Zach M

So far she is acting normal. Thanks guys for all the help. I hope she stays healthy.

#52693 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

I really don’t think you have too much to worry about. A dog I had a few years ago for a short time ate an entire bag of 100 Grand bars. I just kept an eye on him. He was completely fine, just had a few wrappers in his poop here and there, but other than that, he was fine. I think a dog would have to eat a whole lot of chocolate to have any ill effects.

#52694 Report Abuse
    Zach M

Thanks for everything. I will watch her and hope she feels fine.

#52695 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Good news, Zach! I had a dog who ate a bag of Hersey Kisses and like Cyndi’s dog, he just had very colorful poop for a couple of days. I don’t blame your dog. I love milk duds too! I hope she continues to do well!

#52696 Report Abuse
    Zach M

I do too. Thanks for the reassurance.

#52697 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Zach,

I’m so glad she’s doing OK.

I wonder if there is any sort of holistic remedy that would help the theobromine clear her system more quickly.

Are you still planning to call the vet to check with them on whether they still might want to see her?

#52715 Report Abuse
    cajungurl

I had a Boxer eat my son’s whole entire Easter basket…. didn’t hurt her at all!!!! Glad your doggie is ok

#52720 Report Abuse

Hydrogen peroxide syringe fed to a dog will make it vomit. Never do this with caustic items..ie chemicals or sharp items..keep a bottle handy and know ahead of time the dose needed.

#52721 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Kind of funny story about using peroxide. One time, my cat had eaten a little ball of thread. I had heard horror stories about thread or string getting wrapped around organs or something so I was freaking out. I took my cat into the bathroom and gave him a little bit of peroxide to try to get him to throw it up. I sat and waited and waited and waited, for like a half hour in the bathroom. Finally I gave him a little more peroxide and I waited and waited and waited, nothing. So, I went to call my vet, opened the bathroom door, my cat ran out and threw up 4 times all over my dining room rug. I found the thread in the first pile and the next piles was everything he has eaten that day. Lol!

Hope your baby is doing ok Zach! 🙂 Fyi, milkduds are YUMMY!!!! 🙂

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Cyndi.
    #52723 Report Abuse
    Zach M

She is doing fine so far. Thanks guys for helping me get through this

#52726 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The toxic dose for milk chocolate is 1 oz per pound of body weight. It is very rare for a dog to eat enough milk chocolate for that to be an issue. Dark chocolate and baker’s chocolate are much stronger and much more likely to cause a problem, but are also not as common.

Following the peroxide with a pinch of salt makes it work way, way faster/better. Because of the peristaltic action of the gut, string, cord, tinsil, etc. acts like a saw and slices into the gut wall, often causing many perferations.

#59257 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Sorry to hijack this thread, but my silly, separation-anxiety dog got on my desk today when I was out for all but 10 min. and ripped up a box open and snatched 2 pieces of English butter toffee covered in milk chocolate. Each piece is about an inch by an inch, and about 1/4 inch thick. Most of it is toffee. I am not TOO worried about Bruno and don’t really want to make him throw up with hydrogen peroxide, should I?

No more freedom for this guy… Crating again it is…

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Naturella.
    #59259 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Naturella:
    It doesn’t sound like he ingested an amount that would make him sick, but call your Vet to be sure.
    Here’s the ASPCA poison control hotline:
    http://www.aspcapro.org/poison

And here’s a Dog Chocolate Toxicity Meter from PetMD:
    http://www.petmd.com/dog/chocolate-toxicity

#59261 Report Abuse
    Dori

I’m agreeing with Bobby Dog. Doesn’t sound like he ingested enough chocolate to do harm and it was milk chocolate coated only, not a bar of chocolate. I’d call your vet and ask before you make him throw up.

#59262 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Hey, Bobby Dog, judging by the toxicity meter, Bru should be fine, I don’t think he consumed even 1/2 ounce of actual chocolate, most of it was toffee… So basically sugar and butter… I will probably give his vet a buzz just in case, but I think he should be fine. Thanks so much for the links!

#59263 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, sugar, butter, chocolate, and toffee, can you blame him? I would have raided your stash too. 😉

#59264 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Hi, Dori, yeah, vet said he should be fine and to watch him and bring him in if he’s displaying signs of not feeling well… But he’s seeming just fine so far, I think he will be okay… They did suggest trying to make him throw up just in case, but I don’t wanna… I don’t want to cause him undue stress, and make him feel more weird and possibly sick from being forced to throw up. I will just watch him and keep all human goodies away and the dog in the crate when I’m not home… He was so good before, but for a few days he’s been getting on my desk and chewing on/ripping my tissues, and today he decided he wanted candy apparently…

P.S. Bobby Dog, it is finals/papers time, so I got the chocolate-covered butter toffee, some pretzels and Nutella, Hershey’s Symphony bars, Oreos, and Gummy Bears for the husband. Those are purely study aides… 😉

#59267 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Of course, he’s feeling great. He’s on a sugar high. LOL! Good luck with your finals. 🙂

#59268 Report Abuse
    Naturella

C4C, I need my sugar high too, I got 2 papers to finish for tomorrow, a poster presentation for tomorrow, one more paper for Tuesday and also a presentation for Monday, and then a final on Dec. 15th. I need for Monday to be over so I can focus on my GRA work and studying for my final… And then I want the final to be over too. And my GRA work. For a bit. Want winter break!!!

P.S. It will all get done though. 🙂

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Naturella.
    #59270 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I have no doubt that you will get it all done! My son has finals next week also. I hope he puts as much effort in as you are!

#59271 Report Abuse
    Naturella

C4C, awwh, thank you! If effort meant eating sweets, then I am HUSTLING! 😀 LoL. But no, really, I will take a break of DFA for a few hours each day and only get on here on study breaks, cause otherwise it will be a lost cause, lol. And I am sure your son will do great as well! 🙂

#59274 Report Abuse
    Dori

AHHHHHH……. to be young again and be able to eat all that candy. And you got all the good ones too. I would get such a stomach ache it wouldn’t even be funny. I do like your choices in study aides.

#59297 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Awh, Dori, lol, I will need to take a no-sweets fast once my last final is over… Till Christmas! 😉

#59302 Report Abuse
    Dori

Oh No! A sweets fast. : ( Ah, just till Christmas. Okay. Do well on your examines, girl, I know you will. : )

Bruno is so darn cute. I just want to squeeze him.

#59303 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Awwwh, Dori, thank you! I will do my best! And yes, I can do till Christmas, it is just 10 days between that and my last final, so I will gorge on fresh and dried fruit instead, lol!

And thank you, Bruno is very squeezable when he’s not worming his way out of one’s arms, lol! And you can absolutely meet and squeeze him if you’re ever in the Kennesaw area, maybe visiting The Good Dog Co.! 🙂

#59304 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

So I literately just googled Kennesaw to find out where it was, I have horrible geography skills!

#59305 Report Abuse
    Naturella

@Dog_Obsessed , do you also live in GA?

#59307 Report Abuse
    Dori

Actually Alek, The Dog Food Co. is on my list of calls to make. I’m out of Answer’s and need to put in an order. When she calls me to let me know it’s in I’ll email you so we can meet up. I haven’t forgotten that I owe you a big hug. How’s your family doing? Has your grandmother settled down with the news yet? I know your dad was beginning to come around to the news. Mothers always take a bit longer to come around. Dads will forgive their daughters everything and anything. Nothing actually to forgive in this case but dads are dads. Not much you can do about it. Mothers are always pretty tough cookies. At least thats how it always was at home for me. I could get away with murder as far as my father was concerned. My mother…..not so much! She was the toughie in the family. The disciplinarian.
    Men are just a bunch of softies. Gotta love em!

#59308 Report Abuse
    Dori

Yeah, Dog Obsessed. Do you live in Georgia too! If you do, for some reason I never realized that.

#59310 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Dori, I will send you an email in a bit so as to not hoag this thread. 🙂

#59311 Report Abuse
    Dori

Oh yeah. Good idea. I always forget that I’m still on DFA as I rattled away.

#59318 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Nope, I’m in California.

#59320 Report Abuse
    Dori

OH. Naturella’s in the Kennesaw area of Cobb County and I’m in Vinings (a sub part of Atlanta/Smyrna) next area over from Kennesaw. That’s why we’re always checking with each other on thoughts of HW, etc. because we have to deal with the same weather and insect issues living in the same area. I don’t normally go to Kennesaw Geogia but there is a dog store in Kennesaw that orders Answers for me and it is the closest to me.

#59322 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Answers? Is that a dog food? Or do you mean answers to questions?

#59323 Report Abuse
    Dori

Sorry Dog Obsessed. Yes, Answers is a commercial raw dog food that is imo one of the best out there but incredibly difficult to find. Very few distributers carry it and there are only two places in the state of Georgia that I have found that will carry it or not give me a hard time ordering it in. One is in Kennesaw where Alek lives and the other is much further away.

#59324 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Thanks for clearing that up. My local pet store doesn’t carry some high-quality brands like Orijen and Victor, though they do carry many other high-quality brands. They also don’t carry low quality brands such as Purina and Science Diet.

#59325 Report Abuse
    Dori

Kudos to your local pet store for not carrying Purina and Science Diet. : )

#59326 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Yeah, it’s a local chain. And by “local” I mean the entire state. I LOVE the store because they carefully select what they carry, the employees are awesome, and they have a return-with-no-questions-asked policy.

From their product search on their website it appears that they used to carry Orijen. They probably stopped because they weren’t getting enough sales due to the high price.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Dog_Obsessed.
    #59328 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Dori, I sent you the letter! Sorry, I was finishing up Paper 2! Now on to the poster presentation for it, and tomorrow and the rest of the week are Paper 3 (due Friday) and presentation for Paper 3, which will be done Monday! Then polishing up Paper 1, and then a final! And doooooneee! 🙂

@Dog_Obsessed
    , wish you also lived in GA! We do have another GA person on the forum, weezerweeks. But she lives far from us…

And nice, those are the types of stores I like myself! Do they have a sales rack? My favorite local store has an amazing sales rack with great prices on soon-to-expire dry and canned foods and treats and what not, it’s awesome! 🙂

#59331 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

They have a “last chance” rack where there is a bunch of random stuff that is being discontinued (often seasonal items) that is on crazy sale, often like 50% off! It’s not usually what I want at the time, but I usually check the rack just in case, and I’m often temped to buy stuff anyway just ’cause it’s so cheap!

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.