šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Aaron J

For anyone that has purchased from Hare Today…what am I supposed to purchase to have the most complete prey model raw diet? They have many varieties of any ground protein/bones/organs… however looking at turkey as a protein, it has 27% bone. I don’t know what I would need to purchase in order to have a complete pmr diet for my dog. Ideally, I would prefer to just defrost the meat, scoop, measure, and feed… I don’t think they have that option?

Any feedback in regards to this is appreciated!!

Thanks!

• This topic was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Aaron J.
    #76970 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Hi Aaron,
    I’ve been ordering from Hare Today for a couple years; they’re awesome! Regarding the “defrost, scoop, measure & feed”…..that is exactly what I do with their grinds. I buy the bone-in grinds & do just that. One of mine needs no added boneless; the other does.
    All you need to do is feed her grinds as long as they have bone-in. If they don’t have tripe in what you’re looking at, purchase some ground to add to the tripe-less grinds. I also feed duck or turkey necks and beef rib bones for dental health.
    I suggest you email Tracy from Hare, she’s the owner & very helpful but she is on vacation this week (pretty sure). Where are you located?

#76987 Report Abuse
    Aaron J

Thanks InkedMarie. I am in NY.

Do you purchase this: Ground Turkey/Bones/Organs?

That is what I am currently looking at.

However…. it also states that this is the ratio:
    68% meat
    27% bone
    5% organ [liver]

27% bone is too much bone, I believe. Do you feed more turkey meat to substitute etc?

I still don’t think that above option would be suitable to feed….
    I know My Pet Carnivore offers

https://www.mypetcarnivore.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=850&virtuemart_category_id=16&lang=en

which appears to be a more suitable all in one meal??

However, their prices are high.

#76989 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Aaron,
    Yes, I feed Hare’s Turkey that you mentioned and have had no problem with constipation from too much bone. One of mine gets a little boneless with it; the other dog does not. I believe they follow the 80/10/10 for prey model.

I have not dealt with My Pet Carnivore. Look at ReelRawDog dot com: if you buy 30lbs, you get free shipping. I have found that even with their free shipping, the only way it’s cheaper is to buy their 10lb complete mixes.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by InkedMarie.
    #77201 Report Abuse
    Aaron J

Thanks InkedMarie!

#77202 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

From the MPC website:

“We recommend a diet consisting of 80% meat, 10% bone & 10% organs which approximates a whole prey diet as we believe nature intended. Any My Pet Carnivore product that has ā€œWhole Groundā€¦ā€ or ā€œWhole Preyā€¦ā€ in the description is the complete animal (minus intestines, fur or feathers). If you are looking for an easy meal, thatā€™s the way to go! ”

https://www.mypetcarnivore.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=143&Itemid=391&lang=en

When I order raw, I order from MPC because I’m on their home delivery route.

#77207 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Hare Today has the natural ratio of meat to bone. Chicken, turkey, duck, etc. have a higher bone content, so their grinds have a higher bone content.

My JRT gets constipated from too much bone. When I feed her fowl, I add some pumpkin with it or add some extra boneless meat.

#93518 Report Abuse
    Pamela C

Is it recommended to supplement with hare today? I’m planning on doing half kibble & half raw. I ordered a pretty good selection of protein but I’m just paranoid about giving her too much bone or not enough organ.

#93535 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Pamela,
    If you go to the Hare Today website, click on “raw food education” (it’s a picture of a cat wearing glasses) then click feeding dogs. Tracey, the owner, says if you feed a variety, all you need is salmon or anchovy oil. I feed strictly Hare and use salmon oil, joint supplements and I feed egg 2-3x weekly.
    Tracey is very helpful; email her and she will answer your questions. Remember to do a review, send in pictures, ‘like” Hare on fb to earn points that give you money off future orders!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.