šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    joanne l

Hi everyone I was just reading about gluten because I was wondering why a lot of our food is so big on gluten free. Even dog foods are doing it. I do know that only people or animals that have celiac can’t have gluten, but people that can have should eat it. I read that gluten is good for heath and that it said people should not avoid it if they can eat it. They mentioned people that don’t eat gluten anymore can start having vitamin and mineral deficiency’s. It mentions how gluten is good for cardiovascular health and other things which I forgot but the bottom line is that gluten has health benefits that people are not aware of. It is interesting so If anyone has time look it up. Now I know dog foods say gluten free, but celiac is very rare in canines and I don’t think animals should avoid gluten from what I read. The media has people believing that gluten is bad when that is not true. Check it out.

#126111 Report Abuse
    anonymous

What’s the Truth behind The Truth About Pet Cancer?

Below is an excerpt, click on link for full article, comments

“The gluten-phobia that has been influencing what people choose to eat is largely nonsense, and there is no good evidence that gluten-free diets are healthier for most people who do not suffer from celiac disease. The same phobia, unfortunately, has taken hold in those advocating for unconventional diets for pets, and there is even less evidence to support it. As with grains in general, there is no reliable evidence gluten has negative health effects on pets, other than a rare condition in the Irish setter”.

#126115 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Thanks for the post, and I agree this gluten free is nonsense. What I found interesting in the article is that dogs and cats cancer rate went up over the years. Years ago it wasn’t as bad. Go figure the dog food today, as they claim, is better?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by joanne l.
    #126120 Report Abuse
    anonymous

That’s because years ago people were less likely to take their pet to the vet for annual checkups and routine care.
    So the dogs were never diagnosed. People just figured that pets just got old or sick, did their best to keep them comfortable. I am sure many of them died from cancer.

Now there is much more testing and treatment options once a pet is diagnosed.

However, beware of over diagnosis. Not all conditions have effective treatments, not to mention the expense to find this out.

A good vet will explain all your options regarding testing and treatment to you.

PS: Years ago pet food wasn’t tested as carefully as it is today. No feeding trials.
    No veterinary nutritionists on staff.

Calo Dog Food and Purina Gravy Train are the two I remember. Many dogs did fine and lived long lives on these foods.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by anonymous.
    #126138 Report Abuse
    joanne l

I agree, my neighbor that is 79 years old told me dogs used to eat kennelraction can food and poor people use to eat it to, he said. Maybe years ago not much was sourced from china. Also he said that this can dog food was horse meat, but he said it was still healthy for dogs. And he said what you said that “dogs lived long.” He also said Alpo was all they were feed that he knows of. However maybe the Alpo today is not as good only because of the sourcing. Who knows.
    I am editing this because I just spoke with my neighbor and he said “No dog food had ingredients from china or Japan years ago.” He knows this for a fact. China had nothing to do with pet food ingredients years ago. Ingredients were from the USA. Well pet food was better in that respect anyway.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.