Glucosamine and Chondroitin

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Supplements Glucosamine and Chondroitin

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    eli s

Hi all,

My 16 year old Tibetan terrier is having difficulties to stand up after lying down. It looks like most of the times she is really making an effort.

I believe the problem is that her muscles are weak.
    Would pills (for humans) containing Glucosamine and Chondroitin help in this situation?

#47578 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

There’s not much data supporting the efficacy of glucosamine or chondroitin, however some people swear by it and it’s harmless enough so it wouldn’t hurt to try. Human supplements are fine, just adjust the dosage accordingly. Some other supplements to try would bee MSM, curcumin, omega 3’s, boswellia or an system enzyme supplement (like Medizym). You could also talk to your vet about adequan injections.

#47583 Report Abuse
    Dori

Have you taken your TT to the vet for an examination on this issue? Though I give my 15 year old Maltese Glucosamine Chondroitin and see a visible difference when she is on it, I have had testing to make sure that it is age related and simple arthritis and not some other underlying problem. As our dogs get really on in years it’s easy to jump to the conclusion that is must be age related arthritis of some sort. That’s not always the case. Though I believe you should add the Glucosamine Chondroitin to her diet (don’t relay on foods that include it because there is not enough of he ingredient in the food to really make a difference) I also believe you should have your TT checked by the vet if only to confirm your diagnosis. Also, if you are going to go with the Glucosamine Chondroitin, it should not be given with food. Maybe give in between meals. Works better that way.

Also, if you feel your dogs muscles have weakened, that’s a different issue entirely. Your dogs muscles will weaken if they do not get enough exercise. Start with easy slow short walks and eventually go a little further every few days. Remember don’t walk to far because you have to account for the fact that you have to walk back home. Your dog needs to build up it’s muscles. Glucosamine Chondroitin is not for muscle weakness.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Dori.
    #47603 Report Abuse
    eli s

My TT is old and its hard for her to walk that much, but I dont have any other idea of how to strengthen her muscles. She doesnt like water so swimming is not an option. ill try to do some walks with her as suggested and little by little maybe it’ll help.

I do believe it is age related. The vet said it though he didnt examine her. If Glucosamine Chondroitin is not for muscle weakness then maybe it wont help, but since it wont hurt then perhaps I should try it anyway

#47621 Report Abuse
    Dori

I don’t mean to appear negative to your TT’s problems but Glucosamine Chondroitin is for arthritis. Muscle weakness is general either a muscle illness or from lack of utilizing the muscles.

#47652 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Dori –

When dogs have arthritis they don’t exercise as much due to the pain and for this reason will often experience muscular atrophy. Getting the joints to feel better, leads to less pain, which will lead to more activity which, ultimately, will aid in strengthening the muscles.

#47668 Report Abuse
    Dori

Eli s. Maybe you should start your dog on a good glucosamine chondroitin before starting the walks. Again, when you start the walks just go at his speed and not far at all.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.