🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 188 total)
  • Author
    Karen D
    Participant

Vet just prescribed this new drug, $46 for a months supply. just wondering if anyone else has tried it & what results they have seen?
    Thanks,
    karen

#97793 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I imagine it is similar to Rimadyl a very effective NSAID. Some dogs do very well on NSAIDs for pain management and as an anti-inflammatory.
    However some dogs (not all) experience gastrointestinal side effects, not always right away.
    I had a senior small breed that did very well on it for several months and then developed diarrhea, so he could no longer tolerate it.
    So, I would say keep an eye on him and if he develops GI symptoms, don’t assume it’s GI related, I would hold the med and head right back to the vet.

https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/CVMUpdates/ucm491552.htm
    March 21, 2016
    The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today announced the approval of Galliprant (grapiprant tablets), a new animal drug intended to control pain and inflammation associated with osteoarthritis in dogs.
    Osteoarthritis (OA) is a condition where cartilage – the protective material that cushions a joint – breaks down over time, causing the bones to rub against each other. This rubbing can permanently damage the joint and cause pain, inflammation, and lameness. Older and overweight dogs are at a higher risk of developing OA.
    A new treatment option for dogs with OA, Galliprant is a prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) EP4 receptor antagonist; a non-cyclooxygenase inhibiting, non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). All NSAIDs carry certain risks, including vomiting, diarrhea, not eating/eating less, and lethargy. These drugs must be prescribed by a licensed veterinarian, because professional expertise is needed to diagnose and provide guidance in the control of OA pain.
    Other NSAIDs that are FDA-approved for use in dogs include deracoxib (Deramaxx), carprofen (Rimadyl, Novocox, Carprieve, Quellin, Carprofen), meloxicam (Metacam, Loxicom, Orocam, Meloxidyl, Meloxicam), and firocoxib (Previcox).
    The application for Galliprant is sponsored by Aratana Therapeutics

#97796 Report Abuse
    anonymous

“So, I would say keep an eye on him and if he develops GI symptoms, don’t assume it’s GI related, I would hold the med and head right back to the vet”.

Oops! I meant to say: Don’t assume it’s diet related.

#97800 Report Abuse
    Karen D
    Participant

Thanks for helpful info….I took her off Rimadyl months ago due to it making her sick to her stomach, have just been giving her Tramadol 2x daily…..Yesterday my Vet HIGHLY recommended Galliprant as it does not harm kidneys. In looking up info on it I came across an article that said new evidence shows Tramadol does nothing for dogs other than make them sleepy…..something to do with pain receptors. Gosh, wondering why if true it isn’t common knowledge? If not true, then shame on the publisher. Will ask my Vet when I go back in a month.
    Karen

#97802 Report Abuse
    Marie P

I know some folks are choosing Metacam over the Tramadol. Yes, talk to your Vet about the new product you are on. Make sure it won’t hurt the liver. Blessings to you

#97805 Report Abuse
    anonymous

/forums/topic/senior-shepherdhound-mix-needs-to-loose-25-lbs/

Check the search engine for “tramadol”. It is true, tramadol is no longer recommended for pain management for canines, it doesn’t convert to an opiate like it does with humans,according to recent research.
    However, it does have sedative qualities and minimal side effects
    If you are interested in science based veterinary medicine go to skeptvet dot com, nothing is being sold over there.

#100212 Report Abuse
    Debra R

I have an older Boston Terrier that was suddenly in so much pain from osteoarthritis, I thought was going to have to put her down. Other NSAIDS were not helping. The vet suggested Galliprant and within three days, was a turnaround and like a miracle. Now, after several months, she has diarrhea really bad, and medications to stop it are not working. I am going to stop the Galliprant and see how she does over the weekend and call the vet as well. I am happy to have found this board while searching for answers.

#100213 Report Abuse
    anonymous

@ Debra R
    Yep, unfortunately that’s what can happen with NSAIDS. It may take a few days, maybe a week to clear up. Hopefully the vet will be able to suggest an alternative medication.
    Keep her hydrated…..today is Saturday, maybe you could reach the vet today?
    Hope her symptoms aren’t severe.

#100357 Report Abuse
    Brian R

I have an elder Rottweiler (13 years) that has significant spinal arthritis and neuropathy. She has never tolerated non-steroidal meds well (Rimadyl, Deramaxx, meloxicam, etc.) as they have always caused severe GI distress for her (nausea, anorexia, diarrhea). The only med we’ve found that she can tolerate is tramadol which is only a pain reliever and not an anti-inflammatory. It has provided some relief, but it’s a narcotic and poses tolerance and withdrawal challenges.
    We recently started a cautious trial of Galliprant and it has had a dramatic effect. A huge improvement in comfort and mobility and I am now weaning the tramadol as it can’t be stopped abruptly. I am optimistic but will proceed very cautiously. I only give it with a full meal and at minimal dosing, even skipping a day here and there to hopefully avoid GI problems. So far, so good after 3 weeks of treatment.

#101037 Report Abuse
    Michele S

Galliprant is a godsend! I have a 16 yo blind female shihtzu that’s 11 1/2 pounds that suffers from arthritis,severe hip dysplasia along with elevated liver enzymes( which are under control with medication ) and early stages of kidney disease. All issues are old age related so with her kidneys and liver needing monitoring we are limited to pain medications that can be used. Metacam is a popular medication comparable to our aleve or Advil but can’t be used due to her liver and kidneys. We tried tramadol which really didn’t work well. She’s been on gabapentin for about 5-6 months which she received every 8 hours and up to a whole pill each dose to keep her comfortable but she never seemed completely content. Couldn’t sleep well would move around a lot in bed to get into a comfortable position for her hind hips. Well my vet called me 2 weeks ago to tell me
    About a new med Galliprant that came out and seems to be getting good results and it is safe for her liver and kidneys. We tried it because why not we want to make our Lil angel as pain free as possible. This medication changed her and our lives within days! we haven’t had to give her gabapentin since her first dose a week ago she gets 1/4 of a pill of Galliprant in the morning and she is able to relax all day and night comfortably! Her tail hasn’t wagged this much in a long time she is a totally different dog from a week ago. Her peppy personality from her younger years is back! If you are skeptical about this medication don’t be! TRY this medication! You and your fur baby will be so thankful!

#101670 Report Abuse
    Mary D

My 12 yr old German Shepard/pug mix was put on Galliprant 60mg once daily about 2 weeks ago. I have noticed a huge change in her mobility and would love to keep her on it. For the past few days I noticed with her bowel movements it looked a little reddish in color (not bright red nor black tarry stool) more like a raspberry jelly, afterwards she scoots her bottom across the ground like she is in pain. Has anyone experienced this after starting this med?

#101671 Report Abuse
    anonymous

This happened to my dog on Rimadyl, after about a month. The med had to be stopped and it took him over a week to recover. NSAIDS don’t agree with some dogs. It can get much worse.
    Call the vet.

#101673 Report Abuse
    Mary D

Thank you for responding, already in touch with vet they are running a fecal sample.
    The sad thing is she was using Rimadyl prior and didn’t like the possible side effects (kidney and or liver damage)which intern prompt the change to Galliprant.

#101680 Report Abuse
    Sarah M

Glad to have found this forum. Our vet is suggesting we start Galliprant soon for back/disk inflammation our 10 yo corgi has been experiencing off and on for the past few months. She has a history of kidney issues (proteinuria) and for several years was on benazepril until it became ineffective and the vet switched her to losartan a few months ago. She’s also now on a prescription low protein diet for her kidneys which she doesn’t love (and I have mixed feelings about).

In December, she had her first back issue (“slipped disks”), stopped using her back legs – we was put on prednisone for several months and tramadol at first to help with pain. We did cold laser therapy, too. She finally bounced back, but had another bout of back inflammation a couple of months ago, went back on prednisone and tramadol, and vet planted the seed of back surgery since this is turning into a recurring problem every two to three months. She was done with the second round of steroids about month ago, but then GI issues struck – diarrhea and vomiting. We did bland diet and other meds to settle the stomach. Then her back went out for a third time last week despite no change to her activity level. So she’s back on prednisone and tramadol, but the vet is eager to switch her to galliprant once we wean her off the prednisone in the next week or so. She can’t be on the steroids forever, and we need to protect her kidneys as much as possible, so I’m open to it, but a little concerned about the GI issues that some have stated come up eventually on the galliprant.

#101681 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I think the Galliprant is worth a try, not all dogs have the GI side effects.
    It might work.

Also, you could ask the Skepttvet what he thinks of this medication, he often answers blog questions.
    http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=NSAIDS

Ps: Is the vet recommending surgery? You may want to reconsider.

#101682 Report Abuse
    Karen D
    Participant

Pnut has been on the Galliprant now for almost 3 months, no GI problems, she is also on Tramadol. Her back legs are still weak & she gets in a crouched position after standing for a few minutes, sometimes even just plops down on her butt. I don’t have any way of knowing if this would be worse without the Galliprant so I will continue & FYI there is a $10 rebate for it, the vet has the code & it is good for each months worth till Dec. 2017. I have already received 2 $10 debit cards from the company. Must upload receipt from vet & use code.

#101702 Report Abuse
    Debra R

I have just ben giving Molly tramadol for pain and she has been getting by. If she worsens, we will try something else, but right now, she is maintaining.

#101703 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Tramadol is no longer recommended as a pain med for dogs, recent research shows that it does not convert to an opiate in dogs as it does in humans. However, tramadol does have sedative qualities.
    Ask your vet, he will explain it to you.

#101706 Report Abuse
    Cathy B

Hi anon, my vet gave me Tramadol pills a few months ago for my 14 y/o tiny Chi after he had another hernina surgery. I did give him one a few nights ago as I could see he was hurting from Arthritis.
    I also have Carprofen. Which should I use for pain?

Just started Springtime joint supplements hoping they do him some good.

#101708 Report Abuse
    anonymous

If your pet is having a positive effect from the tramadol, then I would continue it as prescribed. Carprofen also known as Rimadyl is a very effective pain med for canines, however, not all dogs tolerate it well if they are on it for a while, GI symptoms such as diarrhea have been known to occur. So, I would use it for pain (as prescribed by the treating vet), but would stop it and call the vet if side effects occur.
    As far as supplements go, I have no use for most of them. A lot of scams out there.
    Just read the ingredients:
    Guaranteed Springtime Analysis
    MSM, 99%
    (methyl sulfonyl methane)
    300 mg/tablet
    Glucosamine HCL, 99%
    (shellfish extract)
    250 mg/tablet
    Desiccated beef liver
    200 mg/tablet
    Chondroitin sulfate, min. 90% purity
    (bovine cartilage extract)
    175 mg/tablet
    Ascorbic acid (vitamin C)
    125 mg/tablet
    Carrot powder
    100 mg/tablet
    Citrus bioflavonoid complex, 40%
    100 mg/tablet
    Hesperidin, 85%
    50 mg/tablet
    Rutin (vitamin P)
    830 mcg/tablet
    Ingredients: dextrose, microcrystalline cellulose, MSM (99%), glucosamine HCL (99%), desiccated beef liver, chondroitin sulfate (bovine cartilage extract – min. 90% purity), ascorbic acid (vitamin C), carrot powder, citrus bioflavonoid complex (40%), hesperidin (85%), stearic acid, and rutin (vitamin P).

I prefer science based veterinary medicine http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=arthritis

#101711 Report Abuse
    Cathy B

Thanks anon! Yep, that’s the joint supplement I just started. LOL. I know you don’t like a lot of supplements, but I read up on it..and just wanting to help my sweet lil man.
    He’s been on Cosequin for a long while, and it seemed to stop helping so I wanted to switch over to something new.

He’s also been on pain meds for years ( he’s my problem child.) He’s had back pain and 2 surgeries and vet said to always have pain meds on hand for him.

He’s never had a problem with them and I never give except once in a long while.
    I did notice the one time I gave the Tramadol he was able to rest and get some slee

You and a few others are a blessing on here :0)

#101712 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Thanks, do what you can to keep him comfortable.
    I lost a peke at age 16 a few months ago 🙁

#101714 Report Abuse
    Cathy B

Awww, I’m so sorry. It breaks your heart when they leave us

#102100 Report Abuse
    kate M

My vet prescribed Galliprant yesterday for my 17 y/o lhasa/poodle/doxie mix who presented with severe lameness and pain over the weekend in her hind end. She was barely able to walk so I started her on Tramadol that we keep on hand for pain from a previous back issue and she was a little improved yesterday before the vet. First dose was yesterday around noon, and I am floored by the rapid increase of mobility – she was back to her bouncy self this morning. She had elevated liver enzymes which prompted us to use the Galliprant as opposed to Rimadyl – I am glad I found this forum so I can be aware of the warning signs of possible trouble. I am going to call the vet’s office this morning about the code someone mentioned for the $10 rebate – hopefully they will know what I’m talking about.

#102102 Report Abuse
    Karen D
    Participant

kate M….I was the poster about the code for the $10 off, I received it via email from my Vets office & when you fill out the online form it has a list of Vets so I don’t think my code will work for anyone else. That said when I picked up this months supply of Galliprant & used both the debit cards for it ($10 each) 😉 I found a manufactors slip in the bag with another code….Galliprant10, hopefully it is a universal code for everyone to use…all expire in Dec. 2017.

#102193 Report Abuse
    Jeffrey D

My 11 yr old Morkie has developed arthritis and has a herniated disc in his neck for the last couple of years which just became an issue a couple of months ago. He was on constant 1/2 Tramadol 2-3 times a day. He also has a heart murmur and is on Vetmedin 2 times a day so his choice of medicine is limited to non-steroid meds. My Vet suggested we try Galiprant. It took about 4-5 weeks but this medicine is amazing. No longer putting him in a stroller to take him for a walk and only walking 20 feet before laying in the grass. He now walks with his younger brother like we use. No side effects at all !! Highly recommend Galiprant, but stick with it since my experience it took time to work.

#102309 Report Abuse
    Melissa S

My vet prescribed Galliprant last week; my 9 y/o dachshund has been on it 4 days now – she had to get the pred out of her system first. Last night all of a sudden she vomited 5x in a row and then released bowels as she lay there spent from the vomiting. Bowels were formed and it seemed that she just lost control bc of the stress. This is the first and only symptom she has shown. I thought maybe it was from a new treat given to her hours prior but now I’m concerned about the med. my vet is closed til Monday.

So glad I found this forum! Btw, if any of you haven’t tried acupuncture for mobility issues, you really should look into it. In combo with meds, not instead of. It has saved three doxies in my family from paralysis.

#102313 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Does your vet have someone on call that would return your call? Is the clinic open today, another vet may be able to advise you over the phone.

#102475 Report Abuse
    Melissa S

There’s an emergency vet that is open when regular vet is closed, but I don’t think they do much over the phone. I almost took her in that night, but she seemed fine by the time we drove there. I fed her plain rice and boiled chicken breast for three days and she’s had no other issues. Her appetite was strong and her stool was solid. The next morning after the episode, I only gave her half her dose of the galliprant but resumed regular dose the following day bc she seemed fine. It’s been about a week now and we have had no issues at all. I’m definitely keeping an eye on everything but I don’t think now that it was her meds.

#103108 Report Abuse
    Jamie W

Did anyone find adjusting he dose or changing food helped? My 14 year old pit mix has had arthritis for the past year and we have tried everything but he always gets diahrea and gi issues. We started galliprant 3 weeks ago and we noticed immediate results right away. He can jump in and out of the car again and go for walks without pain medication. He developed serious gi issues after two weeks and has been vomiting and diahrea for days now. I just made the connection that it might be the medication so he’s going to the vet tomorrow. It’s been a miracle drug for so many I hope the gi issues can be resolved!

#103123 Report Abuse
    Brian R

Hi Jamie, GI issues are not as common with Galliprant but still possible as you’ve discovered. You should definitely consult with the vet asap. Most likely you will have to discontinue for awhile until GI symptoms resolve and could try to restart at a lower dose and/or less frequent interval. I have a 70# 13yo Rottie who’s had GI problems with all previous NSAIDS. I’ve given her 60mg Galliprant daily 6x per week since April. Occasionally I give only 30mg when she is doing exceptionally well. Trick is to find the minimal effective dose to keep them comfortable and hopefully stave off the GI symptoms. Good luck.

#103124 Report Abuse
    Jamie W

That is so helpful thank you! I’m seeing my vet today but she seemed surprised the galliprant caused issues. I may have given it to him without food too so it could have escalated the problem. I appreciate your response! Thank you
    Jamie

#103135 Report Abuse
    Peter K

I joined here just to discuss Galliprant.

My rescue cattle dog mix (adopted 7 years ago,) has a bad hip and is SO reactive at the Vet that they can’t easily (ahem) get the bloodwork needed to keep prescribing Rimadyl, which HAS worked very well for her. She’s not an “easy” dog, but a sweet dog at home and controllable otherwise except at the Vet office. A sympathetic Tech suggested Galliprant as it supposedly does not have side effects and does not require lab tests. But my dog has had GI effects (constipation) and a definite mood shift, becoming aggressive about food/treats, which is one behavior she’s never done before.

I can’t find much info about Galliprant side-effects, so I’m wondering about others’ experience with it and their dogs. Any feedback appreciated.

#103136 Report Abuse
    Karen D
    Participant

Hi, I am the original poster & my Cocker Spaniel age 15.6 was on Rimadyl for many months & she started throwing up & wouldn’t eat, the Vet & I took her off & used just Tramadol till the Galliprant came out. It is going on 4 months now, no GI problems. Still giving her the Tramadol so haven’t noticed any difference in her since starting the Galliprant. I don’t know if she is in pain or not, she is so old & sleeps 22 hrs a day, just wakes up to eat, she does have one hell of an appetite. She walks around outside for a few mins. does her biz & wants to come back in. Sometimes does it in the house ;-( Her eyesight is failing, her back legs give out on her, but It’s not her time yet 😉 I will continue the Galliprant till the end & HOPE it has eased her pain.

#103157 Report Abuse
    Tanya B

Karen D’s posting sounds identical to my 17-year old cocker spaniel. We are just starting to give this medication a try. We are hoping for positive results, to help keep our guy going a little longer, without pain. You can tell he still loves life. He just has legs that are failing him; much like my elderly mother.

#103383 Report Abuse
    Andrea B

Mellisa s

I am going to look into Galliprant with my Vet ASAP since he has kidney issues and is not taking anything now to reduce the inflammation from OA, only Tramadol and Gabapentin which make him kinds sleepy, but I was wondering what kind of results you are seeing from Acupuncture with your fur baby and if you are using just straight acupuncture or elctro Acupuncture?

#103454 Report Abuse
    Elizabeth L

Hello and thank you all for your posts. Glad I found this. I have a 12 year old large yellow lab, Sammy. He has had both of his knees workd on and this past winter his arthritis got bad and has developed spine issues. We just finished up month 2 and it does make a difference in him getting around. He also takes Gabapentin. It is expensive, 100 for 30 days of 100mg. But I want him to enjoy as much as he can the time he has left. He is starting to have bowel issues so we are increasing his stomachache med Metoclopramide. We also will skip a day here and there of the Galliprant due to stomachache issues.

#103455 Report Abuse
    Jamie W

I’m back with a update ! My dog saw Amazing improvements on galliprant. After a week if gave him horrible diahrea and it would not go away. After a vet visit we decided to take him off of it and do a bland diet with gi calming meds and then once better ease him back on the galliprant. He immediately declined when he was off of it- moaning in pain, couldn’t jump in and out of the car again and miserable. I started him back in galliprant this week half a pill a few days and now a full pill and he’s back to his energetic self again and not in pain! I’ll keep watching to see if he gets loose stools and maybe reduce a day a week. Galliprant is the only thing that’s made a difference for my 14 year old pit and his arthritic pain so I’m going to keep trying!

#103560 Report Abuse
    Moe V

Michelle S for your post about your shihtzu . Mine is going to be 16 and is having real bad issues with his hips and he got hurt over the weekend and pulled or tore his knee muscle/ tendon. He starts therapy soon but like others the Rimadyl and he gets sick from it. I just gave him his first dose this morning. After finding this site and reading the post am hoping by tomorrow he gets back to moving. I took him off the Rimadyl and didnt stat the Galliprant for 24 hrs which you could see him having a hard time. Thank you to all you posted, I am hopeful this starts helping him. Blood test came back decent for his age. So am hoping this works 🙂

#103561 Report Abuse
    Moe V

Thank you Michelle S for your post about your shihtzu . Mine is going to be 16 and is having real bad issues with his hips and he got hurt over the weekend and pulled or tore his knee muscle/ tendon. He starts therapy soon but like others the Rimadyl makes him get the runs 🙁 from it. I just gave him his first dose this morning of Galliprant. After finding this site and reading the post am hoping by tomorrow he gets back to moving. I took him off the Rimadyl and didnt start the Galliprant for 24 hrs which you could see him having a hard time. Thank you to all who posted, I am hopeful this starts helping him. Blood test came back decent for his age. So am hoping this works 🙂

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Moe V.
    #103567 Report Abuse
    Andrea B

My vet will not let my dog try the Galliprant everyone here seems to have good results ..I was very hopeful
    I think she feels the only option is to put my dog down

#103571 Report Abuse
    Serge Z

Our black Lab, with hip displasia, would not jump in the rear of our SUV or on the bed. We gave her stairs to use. This was when she was only seven. we tried Previcox without any change. When she was eight our vet recommended Galliprant. Within three weeks she began ignoring the steps and jumping in the car and on the bed. We’ve put the steps in the garage as she shows no hesitation at all! She’s 62# and gets 60mg with breakfast. Absolutely works for her! (Our little terrier has a pinched nerve in her back and gets Galliprant too. 20 mg/day and she races around like a puppy!)

#103576 Report Abuse
    Moe V

Awww Andrea B I would try and get another opinion. I gave my dog his second pill and now he’s having some issues but I didnt give it to him with food so will try that and see if that helps if not than vet on Sunday. But I appreciate everyone who writes here and does updates. Seems its a hit or miss with any meds we give our furbabies.

#103598 Report Abuse
    Leanne M

My dog was on Novox Long term and started to have liver and kidney levels highly increased. We moved him over to Galliprant after researching the medication, while taking him to an internist. While on Galliprant he had two other blood test results over a three-week period. During this time his kidney and liver levels came down to almost completely normal. We were prescribed tramadol instead for a short period of time. This did not alleviate his inflammation and pain. He went back on the Galliprant and he is not only frolicking and out of pain but he is also not chewing his hindquarters anymore. For years we thought The chewing was an allergy and we’re giving him Benadryl as well as spent a year and a half researching food and trying different formulas. He has not been on Benadryl for weeks and the chewing is under control with Galliprant. It must’ve been due to pain in his hips that even the Novox was not controlling. This has been going on only for five weeks and we will have his liver enzymes tested again in a month. I hope this information helps. I felt much safer with this medication considering we had his liver enzymes tested at three different times while beginning this medication. It is a newly released prescription but it has been approved and there was testing done. it works on pain in a different manner.
    The vet is not sure if he got into something or if the Novox created this issue. Many vets are still leery of this medication because it is so new. All I can go by is how wonderful my dog feels and acts and the blood test.
    Galliprant at 100 mg is impossible to get at this time. We put him on 60s and give him one and a half for a total of 90 mg. This dosage is working just as well as the hundred milligrams for him. The vet had us try to 60 mg but he is 114 pounds and by the afternoon he was in pain and I then had to supplement with tramadol. That did not work nearly as well. This is a very expensive medication but I do believe that it is saving my dogs life. He is only 7 1/2 years old and has had pain in his hips for about three years.
    I hope this helps some wonderful pets out there.
    The company does offer a rebate.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Leanne M.
    #103599 Report Abuse
    Leanne M

To Andrea B: Get a second opinion! I have a post hear about our experience with it.

This was supposed to be to the person that said the vet would not let her try Gallup rant and wanted to put her dog down. I do not know the history of the dog but if she believes it is all due to pain I would certainly give it a try.

#103626 Report Abuse
    Andrea B

I have been with my Vet through 2 other dogs since the 80’s. I think she wants the best for Max and was really pushing me last week to put him down, but I still see life in his eyes. I just want EVERY chance I can give him. I know he has bad arthritis and we are trying to manage the pain its the inflammation that I am trying to help right now. He has it bad in his right carpus REALLY BAD and has dealt with hip dysplasia since he was a puppy I’ve had him since 2005. He is getting acupuncture sometime the electo that works REALLY well, But the physical therapist keeps putting him on the underwater treadmill THAT is what I feel is causing a lot of issues for him..its once a week, last time it was for 10 minutes, I could see in his eyes he was not happy…I feel it’s like a person that sits at a desk 5 days a week and decides on Saturday to run a marathon, well it’s not going to happen. I am not giving up on Max but since my vet is the one that either has to write a script for to order myself or send me home with what they have in their office I am not sure Max will get the chance. I guess I could find a vet that works under the table or just hound my vet till she cracks

#103627 Report Abuse
    Andrea B

I need to add, up until May of this year he was on duramax we took him off to do a dose of steroids hoping to give him a boost, but at the same time we were treating a cyst on his paw with a strong antibiotic that was making him throw up big time so not really sure if the steroids got a chance to really help at all, but we never put him back on the duramax. told me his kidney levels were kind of high.. this was why when I saw this drug I thought GREAT this could work for Max. I am not a vet, but in humans with arthritis you manage both the pain and the inflammation it causes my mom had it really bad in her knees and that is how her doctor managed it. So I keep thinking in a Dog it would work the same..the closest I am getting is 155ml of tylenol with I do not believe does anything for the inflammation

#103628 Report Abuse
    anonymous

@ Andrea
    I suspect the “kidney issues” is why your vet does not want to try this medication.
    Dogs with kidney disease, depending on how bad it is, tend to be nauseous all the time.
    I would call your vet and ask her to explain, also have her identify exactly what treatment options are available for care and comfort, that won’t make the dog’s symptoms worse.
    Best of luck

#103629 Report Abuse
    Andrea B

Hi anon101!!

Do you mean from this medication or from the the kidney problems them self. Max has a good appetite only issue’s with food and med combo was the antibiotics he was on back in May would vomit all the time till I found the right food to med combo and even that sometimes didnt work.

#103631 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Both. I had a dog with Lyme disease related kidney damage, she needed subq fluids almost every day during the last 2 years of her life.
    NSAIDS are known to have nausea as a side effect. I am thinking that your vet is concerned about the potential side effects that Galliprant may cause. It may outweigh the benefit? Only the vet that examined your dog can explain…..you can always get another opinion.
    I would be leery of the homeopathic vets offering miracle cures. There are a lot of charlatans out there.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 188 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.