šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sheila B

Just found out my Buddy has an enlarged liver. Doc put him on Hill’s prescription canned food ( very few teeth). I can’t afford to feed him this. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

#142468 Report Abuse
    joanne l

I would tell your vet that you can’t afford it and ask him what to do. Can’t give any advice because with the liver you need the right diet. Maybe your vet can tell you what to look for as far as protein, fat, fiber. And if some one suggest something tell your vet and show him the bag so he can read the ingredients and the percentages.

#142469 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Your dog needs a therapeutic/prescription diet. No way around it. No commercial dog food will compare.
    These things happen and it’s part of routine medical care for your dog.

Do you have cable? If you do and you give it up that would more than cover the cost of the food. Just a thought.

Give up Starbucks? Eating out? That’s what some of us have had to do.

#142470 Report Abuse
    Sanne

Canned food is typically much more expensive to feed than dry food. I would ask your vet to switch him to the dry version and you can put it in a food processor to turn it into a powder, then mix some warm water to it. It’s a little bit more work but worth it if cost is an issue.

#142472 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Also, if you soak the dry kibble in water and leave in the fridg overnight it will be soft in the morning and you can add a little more water to it too. The can food has more moisture so ask your vet if this is an option?

#142488 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi,
    can you afford to make his meals?
    I’d look for cook diet for enlarge Liver online as he needs very low proteins, low fat & No toxins & kibbles are high in toxins, heavy metals & contaminates..

Can you buy the Hills vet diet wet can food & buy lean chicken, lean turkey or eggs, veggies Sweet potatoes, cottage cheese & mix 1/2 & 1/2 he’s probably better off on the cooked food instead of the pet food..

Join Lew Olsons “K-9 Nutrition” group & post a post asking for a cooked diet for enlarged Liver someone will post information
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/371592139642185/

Here’s 1 of Lew Olson recipes for liver disease its pretty simple & easy there’s 2 meals
    https://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/liver-diets-for-dogs-with-chronic-liver-disease/

Here’s Best Dog Foods list for Liver ask vet

8 Best Dog Food for Liver Disease Reviews [2022]

It’s vital to avoid liver and organ meats. Some other meats with high levels of copper include lamb, duck, pork, and salmon. However, there are also protein sources that are low in copper such as chicken, turkey, beef, eggs, whitefish, and cheese

Is there any Canine Liver Disease f/b groups? try & find a f/b group & join, people in these groups will be a wealth of information.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.