Food Energetics

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Food Energetics

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    DogFoodie

I’d love to hear from others who subscribe to Traditional Chinese Veterinarian Medicine (TCVM) theories, in particular, Food Energetics.

Has anyone used either a warming or cooling food, or a food to transform phlegm or drain dampness with success?

I’d love to hear your story!

Here’s a great article from Dogs Naturally Magazine:
    http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/allergies-food-energetics/

And, a great Food Energetics chart from Herbsmith:
    http://www.herbsmithinc.com/Home/Education/foodcharts/default.asp

#40463 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Betsy, I don’t know if I’ve had success lol….but my holistic vet does advocate and uses this in her practice. She wanted me to put Laverne on a cooling food when she was having all her allergy/intolerance issues so I chose fish based foods, like whitefish or salmon (which is actually considered neutral, I believe). Laverne is doing fine with these kinds of foods, but I do sneak a few other proteins in on her sometimes lol.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Mom2Cavs.
    #40489 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Jan,

What symptoms is your vet trying to treat with cooking foods?

#40492 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Betsy, not “cooking” foods, but “cooling” foods….according to the Chinese feeding method. Cooling foods help with inflammation, while warm or hot foods tend to aggravate it. Whitefish is a cooling food, while salmon is considered neutral, I believe.

#40493 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Sorry! I knew that, but my auto correct obviously preferred cooking and I’ve taken out my contacts! LOL!

#40496 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Hey Betsy-I replied in the other thread as well.

From my knowledge-

Venison, Lamb are warming
    Duck, Whitefish, Pork are cooling
    Chicken, Turkey, Beef, Salmon are all neutral

this is off the cuff without any looking up

#40501 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

That is fascinating Aquariangt! I’m going to put in a link to your other post from the Fromm thread: /forums/topic/fromms-gold-holistic/#post-40495.

I believe in a lot of alternative Eastern medicine practices and take my Sam for chiropractic with a TCVM practitioner. We discussed acupuncture for him, but decided against it at the time. I haven’t discussed Chinese herbals with my TCVM vet yet. I have been looking at some Hebsmith products that interest me, but I am reluctant to add anything to Sam’s diet right now. The nearest TCVM food therapist is not far from me, but it’s a crazy drive into the city with Sam.

I’m not sure what’s going on with my Sam, I can’t pathom nhat he’s reacting to everything and after speaking with Shawna, I’m wondering if it could be a detox issue. I have one food left in his rotation that worked for him like magic last time we used it. It’s Mulligan Stew lamb and he’s currently eating Victor Lamb Meal & Rice, but I have also noticed that Sam pants a lot in the evening and feels warm to the touch. Sometimes his ears feel hot, both of them, not just the yeasty one. I have one food that interests me that he hasn’t tried, NV LID and I was thinking of trying the duck, because it’s a cooling food. He tried B2B duck before, but he was very young and the heavy organ content was a bit too much for him at the time.

I plan to put Sam on Mulligan Stew starting this weekend and pray that it works like it has before, but something so far hasn’t been working and I’m going to give a lot of thought to food energetics, and pursue that direction.

I love knowing that others have had success with food energetic and am really eager to hear more about others experiences!

#40629 Report Abuse
    Strike12
    Participant

I have a 20 month old JRT who gives new meaning to the term terror. He is on Chinese herbs right now called calmer and they have helped some. A few days ago we started feeding via the food energetics charts and I think we are seeing a small difference but it’s really too soon to tell. There are a number of different charts out there so be careful which ones you use. My holistic vet told me to use the one that comes from the Chi Institute. Since she also had a crazy JRT that she helped to control through food I’m going with what she says.

#40633 Report Abuse
    T
    Participant

Hey, everyone! Glad to see this discussion… One of my favorite topics.

As for proteins, different people classify them in different ways, but in general:
    Hot: venison, lamb
    Warm/hot: chicken
    Neutral: Beef, rabbit, duck
    Cool: turkey, fish, pork

Some people say beef and turkey are also warm. Since most animals are eating chicken, or lamb when I meet them, I end up recommending beef, turkey, duck, rabbit and fish a lot. I am in Phoenix, AZ, very dry and hot much of the year. Seems like animals can tolerate the warmer proteins in the winter, though. Seasonality should influence food choice as well as the constitution of the animal (hyper/”fire” animals may benefit from cooler foods).

It’s OK to feed a little bit of warming food with the cooling diet! Balance is the key word. Also, the cooking method has influence on food energetics. For example, raw lamb would be cooler than boiled lamb. Boiled lamb would be cooler than baked lamb, etc. Green veggies are cooling, in general. Dairy is cool and damp (now I know why I get sinusitis from eating a lot of ice cream!).

I am dreaming of putting together a seminar on the topic of pet foods, food energetics, etc. one day.

Tabitha Thompson, DVM CVM
    http://naturalalternativesvet.com

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.