šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    mdbd
    Participant

So we have adopted a wonderful senior (12-year old) mini poodle. (I’ve always been allergic to cats but had a dog years’ ago). She was in a kill shelter for about a week then with a large dog rescue facility for 2 months. She had been on a generic kibble (apparently) with her original home. and the rescue. Our first day yesterday was absolutely fine, but today she had her first hair-cut and I noticed just what dry, flakey skin she has and her hair is quite dry. She has many flakes coming off and, of course, with all the flakes coming off – I’m now sneezing and my eyes are watering like crazy – as are my son’s. Other than the skin and coat, she is in wonderful health.

I am absolutely NOT going to give up on this old lady so I really need some helpful suggestions for foods and supplements as they have come a long way since I last had a pet.

a) What is the best dry dog food for a senior (does this equate to grain free or something else)? Cost is way less important than quality.
    b) Are there any particular ingredients that are really bad for senior poodles and/or any that are really beneficial?
    c) Should she stay on kibble given she has always had it or would you suggest wet?
    d) Is there any dog food or supplement that will alleviate her dry skin and prevent the flaking? If so, liquid or tablet form?
    e) This may sound crazy – but is there any food or supplement that helps decrease allergens in a pet to assist an owner who is reacting badly to the pet?
    f) Is there anything (food or supplement) to assist in helping the dog become less smelly?
    g) Is there any topical cream or bath wash that would assist her?

We’re an allergen-free house generally because of my allergies so wood floors, no drapes, etc.

Any help/advice would REALLY be welcome! Thanks!

#24502 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

First, what are you currently feeding? We may recommend different foods based on that.

Second, try adding a good human grade fish, salmon, or krill oil and organic virgin coconut oil to her food.

Finally, there is a shampoo and spray to help keep the dander down. I can’t remember the name, but Petsmart and/or Petco should have it, and everyone in the store should know what your talking about if you ask.

#24503 Report Abuse
    mdbd
    Participant

Hi Patty
    The original owner just stated “pedigree free feed” on the surrender form. The rescue just said she ate whatever they ate so to buy her anything. So really I don’t have any more insight than that in regard to her feed. I have given her basic fresh chicken the past 24 hours.
    Maria

#24505 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

I just want to say I don’t think a healthy dog should smell, especially a poodle. I think a vet visit is in order to check for yeast/ ear infections.

#24506 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

Oh, and most important, Bless you for taking a senior dog!

#24507 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Good for you for adopting a senior! I love hearing that!

#24509 Report Abuse
    mdbd
    Participant

Thanks! The rescue organization has a vet on staff so she was completely checked out – for ear mites and other such nasties, so I don’t think anything like that is of note. Maria

#24510 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

So that means that they left down a bowl of Pedigree 24/7, bottom of the barrel dog food. I’m biting my tonque as I write this and banging my head on a wall too. Buy a small bag of Pedigree, there I said it, enough to feed it for a couple weeks. Buy a bag of NutriSource and slowly transition her to it. I would suggest grain free and chicken free. When you are getting near the end of that bag, if her stools are ok, then pick up a bag of a 5 star brand, something like Natures Variety Instinct should be good, others will chime in with kibbles that are small enough for a small dog. If her smell has improved, stay clear of chicken and grains forever. She needs enough fish(or whatever) oil to get 100mg combined EPA and DHA per day. You can give her more every few days if it is easier to dose that way. She also needs 1/2 teaspoon of organic virgin coconut oil every day. If she has trouble transitioning foods put a teaspoon of canned pure pumpkin on each meal. You can freeze the extra into ice cubes so it doesn’t go bad before you use it. You can also give her a little dab of plain yogurt or kefir to get some probiotics into her gut.

Good luck and thank you for giving this old gal a chance.

#24512 Report Abuse
    mdbd
    Participant

Thanks Patty!

#24582 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Patty helped with your questions but I wanted to say thank you for adopting a senior. We’ve adopted three & they’re my choice of ages.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.