Flaxseed Beware

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Food Ingredients Flaxseed Beware

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Jo J

I wish dog food companies would STOP putting flaxseed filler in their formulas, or at least limit it to a few products. My dog recently became seriously sick —lethargy, obsessive paw licking (to the point of sore in between his toes), excessive drooling, loose bowels, itching—from eating organic chicken based kibble a friend gave him when they were watching him while I was away. I don’t know if this is a springer spaniel thing but every one of my springers has been allergic to flax. I told them about it, but they overfed him his regular food, ran out and didn’t think to look to see if their dog’s food would have flaxseed it in.

In addition to being an allergen, flaxseed is an unneeded filler. It is very difficult for dogs’s metabolism to convert it into a useful omega 3s (the reason most companies use for including it). If you see any of these symptoms in your dog, look at the ingredients on your dog food bag!

• This topic was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Jo J.
    #143684 Report Abuse

joanne l

I agree the best omegas is salmon oil or fish oil.

#143700 Report Abuse

joanne l

I just found this on the internet:
    “Flaxseed is LIKELY SAFE for most adults when taken by mouth. Adding flaxseed to the diet might increase the number of bowel movements each day. It might also cause gastrointestinal (GI) side effects such as bloating, gas, abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhea, stomachache, and nausea.”

#144001 Report Abuse

Jo J

All I know is it can make dogs very sick. I know a lot about nutrition (a journalist who has covered the topic for several decades) and I know how to do wash outs to find out what foods you or your dog may be allergic too. It’s fairly simple with dogs. It has taken my dog more than a month to return to his peak health and he’s still not even close.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.