Fish Oil and Coconut Oil

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Supplements Fish Oil and Coconut Oil

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Fish Oil and Coconut Oil
    Who uses what and why? I notice there is fish oil and salmon oil so which is better? Coconut oil is said to regulate the thyroid and help with arthritis but what if the dog is already on thyroid meds and supplemental Cosequin plus? From what I’ve read, fish oil is for the coat but so is coconut oil so should only one be used?

#17171 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I use salmon oil….the one I buy is just salmon oil, nothing else. It’s good for so many things! Every other day I use extra virgin coconut oil, in a glass jar

#17174 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant
    #17176 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

When it comes to fish oil and coconut oil you can’t really say one is better than the other because they both contain different types of fat. I use both and would recommend using both.

Fish oil is rich in omega 3’s in the form of docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). Omega 3’s are an essential fatty acid for dogs and it’s important they dogs obtain at least a portion of their omega 3’s from animal sources (fish, fish oil, eggs) as omega 3’s derived from animal sources contain the usable long chain form of omega 3s (EPA and DHA). There are many plant sources of omega 3 (such as flax) but omega 3 fatty acids derived from plant sources (algae being the exception) are in the short chain form of alpha linolenic acid (ALA). ALA must be converted to EPA and DHA to be utilized and dogs are very inefficient at making this conversion – their ability to convert short chain omega 3s to long chain omega 3s continues to decline as they age. Omega 3 fatty acids are anti-inflammatory and thus are beneficial for dogs with arthritis, it’s also speculated that consumption of a diet rich in omega 3’s can help lower the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and cancer. The proper balance of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids in the diet also helps the skin and coat.

Coconut oil consists predominantly of saturated fats, the reason coconut oil doesn’t get the bad rap that some other forms of saturated fat get is because the saturated fats present in coconut oil are in the form of medium-chain triglycerides which are easier to digest than the long chain saturated fatty acids present in foods such as butter. The medium chain triglycerides in coconut oil consist mainly of lauric acid. The lauric acid helps to give coconut oil its natural antibacteral and antifungal properties. Coconut oil is also beneficial to the immune system, for digestion and for the skin and coat.

I give my dogs cod liver oil (Carlson’s brand only) and coconut oil daily. Lately I’ve been adding sardines, oysters and cage-free eggs to their food for their omega 3’s, but when they aren’t getting whole food sources of omega 3 I supplement with sardine or anchovy oil. I use cod liver oil because it’s a rich source of naturally occurring vitamin d and it does contain some omega 3’s in the form of EPA and DHA. Coconut oil mainly for the immune-boosting and anti-bacterial properties and fish/seafood/eggs/fish oil for the EPA and DHA.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 11 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
    #17184 Report Abuse
    puppylove
    Participant

coconut oil really improved my shihpoos coat. I can’t remember the brand we use, but I’m assuming that coconut oil, if its pure is all the same, am I right? I’m thinking about adding fish oil too for the cardiovascular benefits.

#17187 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you all for sharing information and some useful websites. I wish I had known about coconut oil with my last Akita who had GI problems off and on for his entire life with me. He was a rescue and had been fed Ole Roy for the first 2 years of his life and I swear it ruined him. 🙁

#17696 Report Abuse
    rossnmia
    Participant

Hi All,
    My Jack Russell has a skin allergy disorder and I find coconut oil to be very relieving and soothing, he scratches less, has a better skintone, and is generally more comfortable. I’ve tried vet recommended products that have had no noticeable effect, apart from steroids, and I’m not keen on the long term use of those..

Mia
    Other Coconut Oil Uses

#51284 Report Abuse
    Paul B

Krill oil or any fish oil that has higher omega 3 than 7 also coconut oil and kelp and turmeric pro and pre biotics with digestive enzymes and trace elements.

#51299 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I use extra-virgin, organic, cold-pressed coconut oil at breakfast every other day. My Bruno also gets canned sardines in their own juices once/week. Haven’t used any type of fish oil specifically, but when he was on fish-based kibble with regular coconut oil intake, his skin and coat became the best they’ve ever been and the effect is still lasting even though the fish food has been switched out 2 months ago. So far I am satisfied with the effect of sardines once/week, raw egg once/week, and coconut oil every other day. Plus, I rotate kibbles, so every few months he gets a fish-based kibble. 🙂

Oh, and I also use a coconut oil-based concoction as a “conditioner” after a bath, as well as for minor wounds/cuts/scrapes. The blend is: coconut oil-olive oil-tri-vitamin oil (A, D, E)-chamomile oil-tiny amount of a Garnier blend of olive, shea, and avocado oils. It works miracles for softness and shine of the coat, and for healing small play wounds. I use it on myself as well, for my hair, or for wounds. I usually treat with just coconut oil the first 2 days, then with the blend.

For the paws I use tree oil – propolis mix (from Bulgarian honey bees) and it also works really well in soothing chapped paws from heat or cold.

#52785 Report Abuse
    John A

I use salmon oil, it’s much easier for a dog to digest and the health benefits are amazing.

#62432 Report Abuse
    John H

We have always used Krill and Salmon oil, alternately to supplement our Golden’s diet. We recently tried the organic Coconut oil and after a few days we noticed improved mobility as well as decreased itching in the dry heated air inside the house. We strongly have urged friends to use both and we received positive feedback from them also.

#79472 Report Abuse
    Becky B

I have a couple questions. How much fish oil and coconut oil do you feed your pups a day? Also can you possibly send me a link where I can look into the Carlson brand oil? I’ve Google it but I want to makeep sure I’m looking into the right one. Also what brand coconut oil do you use? I’m looking into switching my dogs to a Fromm dog food. Unfortunately I can’t afford the one I want but the less expensive one looks very well too. I have a boxer ( 9 y/o) and a German Shepard mix ( 3 y/o) rescue. Any suggestions on affordable decent foods for them too? I can’t not afford 60 dollars every few weeks since I’m in collage but, still want to feed them better!

#79473 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

I know this doesn’t answer your question, however, I thought it might help, as coconut oil is expensive. And you did mention you are on a budget. I have been using less and less supplements for my pets and myself, however I still use fish oil, and put a capsule in my dogs meals once per day.

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2015/04/coconut-oil-for-pets/
    http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=fish+oil
    http://skeptvet.com/Blog/category/nutrition/

Hope this helps.

#79481 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Hi Becky- I’m on a tight budget as well and feed Fromm Gold Large Breed Adult to my pitbull along with Grizzly Salmon Oil for each meal. The bottle will actually tell you how many pumps to give depending on weight.

My dogs hair was falling out and he had oily flakey patches of skin and after one month of the Salmon Oil, his hair has grown back and he does not have any more flakey patches of skin. The Grizzly brand was recommended to my boyfriend by someone who had a rescue pitbull with even worse skin than my boy and he healed amazingly as well. Definitely worth it!

#80936 Report Abuse
    David H

Yes @John A Salmon oil is a best. i am agree with you.

#88910 Report Abuse
    Cindy R

Artie is a 4yr old golden/mix rescue. He gets elk velvet antler, cosequin, and omega 3 daily on advice from surgeon following knee surgery for failing, arthritic knee joints. He’s doing well. Other than his itchy, dry skin. He scratches ALOT! It’s got to be miserable.
    I began to give him coconut oil, which he devoured along with his TOW Wild Prarie food, but then began to question caloric impact? Artie can’t be overweight.
    Should I continue? How much? Any other suggestions? Artie weighs 68-70lbs.
    Thanks!

#88929 Report Abuse
    Diane K

You may want to try a different food……. consider trying Zignature Limited Ingredient (single protein source, duck, kangaroo, etc) or Nature’s Variety, Limited Ingredient, Duck Meal (or you can check out the other single protein sources). No potato in either of these formulas which, per all the research I have done in the last few days, can wreak havoc if there are skin issues.

1 Tablespoon of Coconut Oil has about 120 calories. You would just need to figure out how many calories, by food only, that he gets to maintain his weight and decrease the amount of dry food so that if you add coconut oil the calorie count remains the same.

#90883 Report Abuse
    Gabrielle A

Hi,

I’m newbie here, I also like coconut oil for my love dog pet, thanks for all the information above it really helps me a lot.

#90920 Report Abuse
    Gabrielle A

I used coconut oil everyday after I read this:http://www.islandcocorecipes.com/all-about-cooking-with-coconut-oil/. because of the health benefits that I can get.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.