šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by a c.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Patricia A
    Participant

I need my 6 year old chihuahua to lose a little weight. I always gave Fromm kibble mixed with health extensions canned as a topper. I wanted something better for topper so went with Stella Chewy’s freeze dried. Within the last year she has gained weight. I’ve cut down the kibble and give her less then is advised on the freeze dried. Been looking at recently the Stella Chewy’s fat is 53% according to advisor. protein is 35 and carbs 11. I know lower carbs are a good thing and fat should be higher but it seems like 53% is very high. Thinking about going with wellness canned core hearty cuts as topper which is protein 37% Fat 39% and carbs 24. . Also of thinking of changing kibble to Stella chewys raw coated since it’s less processed and got the 5 stars. Please any advice would be much appreciated. Going nuts with research.

#113040 Report Abuse
    a c

I believed most of the raw and freeze dried are high in fat. I feed my 10 years old Stella and Chewys and Primal raw and freeze dried last year, and she end up with pancreatitis.

To lose weight, You probably want to use the tool from this site to narrow down a 5 star weight management dog food. Also, you need to calculate the fat in dry matter to get the actual fat %. Wellness Core has a weight management formula.

Good luck!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.