🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kyle D

I have a 6 month Alaskan malamute and I’m looking at the Farmina n and d pumpkin food And whether it’s maxi or mini or medium and maxi it seems the calcium content all seems to be adequate for large breed puppy. Would I be ok to go with any of these? More specifically I was looking and cod fish and pumpkin medium and maxi and lamb pumpkin and blueberry medium and maxi. Thoughts? Seems like a very high quality product my local pet store started to sell it here in the USA

#126464 Report Abuse
    Reese B

Hi kyle,
    The FDA released a warning for a potential link between heart disease and dogs fed foods that are high in legumes/peas/potatoes.
    https://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary/newsevents/cvmupdates/ucm613305.htm

Farmina N&D pumpkin has 20% pea starch…which in my opinion is really high. I would avoid foods like that at least until more conclusive evidence is found regarding what is causing heart disease in dogs.

That being said, I still think Farmina is a really good brand. They have a line of food called N&D ancestral grains. That line doesn’t have any peas or legumes or potatoes and the calcium content is the same as the pumpkin one.

#126502 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Kyle,

Send Farmina an email & ask Farmina all your questions they would have vet nutritionist who would know which formula is best for your dog growing bones….
    I think your better off sticking with the Medium Maxi formula’s for Large Breed, click on Puppy & see which medium maxi formula’s come up in the different Farmina range.

This Farmina Chicken & Pomegranate Puppy Maxi Large Breed Formula looks good
    https://www.farmina.com/us/eshop/dog-food/n&d-grain-free-canine/92-chicken-&-pomegranate-puppy-maxi.html

The complexity is illustrated by the fact that not all of the grain free diet DCM dogs reported, are taurine deficient,
    it’s only been a few grain free foods that were diet related “Zignature & Acana” it seems to be the Grain Free foods that are high legumes that are blocking Taurine for ‘Some Dogs’ NOT all dogs??

Vet diets have been using Potatoes for many years & very high amounts of potato, more potato then meat proteins in their vet diets & there hasnt been any dogs suffering with diet related heart problems who are eating these Grain Free Potato Vet Diets??

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.