šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    elle

Just ordered the Lamb & Blueberry Grain free yesterday as I’m trying to find a good food for my British bulldogs that have skin allergies.

Have tried a few of the foods on the editors choice list in the past, but either one of my picky eaters didn’t like the flavor, or they had a reaction to the food.

Is anyone in the U.S. feeding this kibble to their dog? Has it helped with allergies?
    Any additional info. would be great.

Thanks.

#75925 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

What are British Bulldogs?
    I use Farmina but not for an allergy prone dog. What are your dogs sensitive to?

#75926 Report Abuse
    elle

They’re English Bulldogs (or just Bulldogs or British Bulldogs).

I know one is very sensitive to pork. Gets red and itchy right away.
    As far as other ingredients, I really don’t know.

They both have environmental allergies as per allergy testing, but when it comes to food, I noticed that one started scratching his face after being on a salmon formula for six months. He also didn’t care for a beef kibble and wouldn’t eat.

The other had diarrhea on chicken.

They’ve always been on grain free food except for a short time on an Rx kibble.

#75927 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

My other dog is my allergy dog. No chicken for him. I ended up putting him on ground raw. Turns out some produce doesn’t work for him.

#75934 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Sounds like you need some novel proteins and/or things they haven’t been exposed to in the past. If Farmina has some of those, go for it, I think it’s a great brand. Luckily for me, my girl with some intolerances doesn’t have any issues with animal protein, so I just have to watch for other ingredients, and the other one has an iron stomach

#75939 Report Abuse
    Dori

Marie, does Farmina have any formulas that don’t contain poultry? How about that don’t contain potatoes?

#75940 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I don’t know Dori. Ginger is the only one eating it and she eats anything.

#75956 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Hi- I haven’t use Farmina however I’ve heard good things about it. Something else I can suggest to you that I’m trying with my pitbull right now to manage his yeast and this would be good for allergy dogs too is Nature’s Logic. They make a Vension and also a Rabbit and they use Millet for their carbohydrate source which is known as a hypoallergenic seed. They are also only one of two companies who do not use a synthetic vitamin pack. All their vitamins and minerals come from natural sources.

#75960 Report Abuse
    Dori

Just wanted to take a second and agree with pitlove on her recommendation of Nature’s Logic. When I still had kibble along with our commercial raw diet rotation, Nature’s Logic was the only one I was able to use and was really happy with. One of my dogs has many food sensitivities, intolerances and allergies. The millet in Nature’s Logic never bothered her in the least.

I’ve never used Farmina as all of their dog foods either contain some form of poultry or potato which are no go’s for our dogs.

#75961 Report Abuse
    elle

Thanks for the responses and recommendation.

Do you guys know where Nature’s Logic sources their ingredients from and where it’s made?

Also, was looking through the ingredient list and saw Chicken fat and Pork liver.
    One of mine doesn’t do well on pork, the other chicken. Not sure if it would work.

#75962 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Hi Northcove- On the bag I have and on the website it states Made in the USA. On the front page of the website, it says family owned, however I could not find where they sourced their ingredients from on the website. You would most likely have to call and ask. Their full contact info is listed on the bottom of their website. They seem like they would be willing to disclose that info.

As for the chicken fat and pork liver. I have heard that dogs who have chicken allergies can still eat chicken fat, however maybe you shouldn’t take the chance. Also the Sardine Meal formula has chicken fat, but no pork liver.

I’ve fed 2 meals of Nature’s Logic so far and my dogs stool has improved 10 fold and he actually ate without canned food for the first time in over 6 months. I’m quite pleased with Nature’s Logic right now. That being said, there is always a chance this food would not be right for your dog.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.