šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jakes mom

Just read about a homemade weed killer. One gal. vinegar, 2 C Epsom salt and 1/4 C dish soap. Any opinions about using this mixture in the back yard where the dog goes? Would it be strong enough to poison the dog if he walked in it and/or licked it from his feet? Would like to use the weed trimmer less often but certainly not if it puts Jake in danger. I know it would be toxic if he ingested the crystals themselves but just wondering about the diluted product.

#42972 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

I use just straight white vinegar for weeds and grass that grows between my patio stones. You can dillute it if you want, but I don’t. Within a day or two, weeds are dead. With the added Epsom salt and dish soap, I don’t think you have anything to worry about with it harming your dog. It’s a heck of a lot better than the poison in Weed b gone or those other products…

#42974 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hey guys-
    Do you think either of those solutions would kill the dreaded blackberry bushes?

#42976 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey Jakes mom:
    I have used that recipe before, works well, never harmed any of my guys. I mostly use straight vinegar (laziness) now too. For those really tough weeds with long roots that you can never pull completely out of the ground and just keep coming back, I trim the weed until it is about ground level, then I make sure to pour the vinegar directly into and around the stem. This routine has worked well killing the vines that grow on my fence.

#42977 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

C4c:
    Question, are the blackberry bushes weeds or do you mean the blackberry bushes that grow edible berries?

#42994 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

thanks guys, maybe I’ll try just the vinegar instead of the mixture. I’m talking mostly about grass and weeds growing along the fence line where the mower can’t reach. Might as well try the easier option first! I don’t want to use stuff like the Ortho killers, don’t want anything like that in Jake’s yard.

#43017 Report Abuse
    Jackie B

My friend just recommended this same mixture to me! I have GOT to try it on the weeds growing up from the alley.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.