🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Doris H

Hello, Does anyone have any experience with this brand of dogfood?

#37489 Report Abuse

My dog has multiple food ingredient intolerances & I feed Earthborn’s Great Plains Feast. It’s one of the 2 kibbles that work for him. I have no complaints. 🙂

#37496 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

My dog also has multiple food intolerances and Earthbo3rn works for him. I just bought some of the cat food to try for my cats.

#37501 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I JUST transitioned my pup to Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch, and I have bags of the Primitive Natural and Great Plains Feast waiting to be eaten throughout this year, lol. So far so good – he loves the food, it is affordable and grain-free. 🙂

My friend only feeds Great Plains Feast and loves it, and so does his dog. Although I have been trying to get him to at least switch flavors (and proteins) within the brand, because it’s good for the dog.

#37508 Report Abuse
    Saig
    Participant

I tried Coastal Catch and Meadow Feast as well for my 14 mth old Bernese but his fur became really dry and he was always hungry. I prefer Wellness Complete but stock delays are terrible in Australia. At the moment, I have the Wellness Fish and sweet potato and the expiry date is Oct 14, nothing newer. I have also tried Wellness Core but my Bernese started falling in the Pasterns so I believe Grainfree is possibly not appropriate for my dog. Have gone back to grain food instead.

Sad that due to Australia’s strict import laws, only a handful of top rated foods are available here: Wellness, Earthborn, Artemis are available.

#37521 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Saiq, where in Australia do you live? I live Newcastle NSW..Thats pretty good Oct 14, I bought the Holistic Select Duck meal from Pet Barn & use by was Jun 14, I think it depends where u live & how many people buy that certain brand..I bought Patch his Eukanuba Intestinal Vet prescription diet from vets & use by date is Feb 15, so it must be being used alot..Maybe its a good thing, we have strict laws, Australian Nutro Natural Choice which I found was really good, there’s no corn, wheat, articial colours flavours or preservatives. The Chicken is hormone free from Tamworth, Lamb is from New Zealand, Salmon is from Tasmania, all Australian made & grown, I’d prefer Australian made as I know our hygiene laws are very strict & have you noticed the dog foods made in Australia have never had any recalls that I know of…also there’s Black Hawk another good Austrailain Made & Owned natural food sold at Pet Stock…Go on the Black Hawks web page look at all their 4 diferent kibbles, pick one u think will suit ur dog & email them asking for a sample & they’ll send you out this beautiful little ingraved tin box with the sample kibble inside there’s about 3 cups in the sample, also Pet Barn & Pet Stock has samples of the Nutro Natural choice, if u look up Nutro on the reviews our ingredients are different, Australian Nutro is much better then the American Nutro..

#37522 Report Abuse
    Saig
    Participant

Thanks Sue. I’ll have a look. I live in Sydney Northern Beaches. I’ve just started trying other foods (without corn) once he was past 12mths as he was on Advance growing up. I’ve asked Black Hawk on their Calcium Phos % and they could never give me as fed measures so never tried it earlier on. I’ll have a look at Nutro.

#37529 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Saiq..If u Email Black Hawk you get their pamplet with all the Guaranteed Analysis with the sample Kibble + box.. I just looked the Chicken & Rice, Lamb & Rice Calcium is 1.45min Phosphorus 0.8%min..The Lamb & Rice Puppy, Fish & Potato-Calcium is 1.0%min Phosphorus 0.8%min.. In the Nutro Natural choice the large Breed Puppy, Chicken & Rice Puppy & Large Breed are the only ones that have Caluim & Phosphorus Calcuim-1.8%max & Phosphorus-1.3%max..

#37565 Report Abuse
    Ann S

Thought I would just add my experience with Earthborn grain free. One of my dogs can’t eat turkey, so I tried Earthborn’s Great Plains and Meadow Feast, only to learn the hard way that he’s also allergic to peas, which the second ingredient. Since I have avoided foods with peas any higher than 4th or 5th, he’s had no problems. So while it’s very affordable, sadly I cannot buy this brand.
    Am a little bummed after splurging to join that I can’t use most of the foods on the editor’s choice list due to these two allergies. Budget is also an issue for us feeding two adult dogs and one puppy who will soon be bigger than the grownups. We give raw once or twice a week.

#37571 Report Abuse
    Shawna

I have three dogs (2 Paps and 1 terrier) that eat Earthborn foods in their rotation without any issues.

#37574 Report Abuse
    Saig
    Participant

Hi Sue, Nutro’s calcium level was too high for my growing dog and Back Hawk couldn’t give me the max ratios or ‘as fed’ ratios for their calcium and phosphorous. I think that’s why I did not try them. I was using Advance pet when my baby was growing up, which is what the breeder uses however it has corn gluten and corn in the top 5 ingredients. I may try Proplan’s sensitive & stomach formula next. Ingredients don’t look bad.

#37587 Report Abuse

Hi Ann- yeah I’m in the same boat- most of this list is off the table here too. But it’s going to keep expanding so I’ll keep searching. Right now we can use Earthborn GPF & Natures Logic Beef or Sardine only. I’m hoping the new Acana Singles recipes may work when they come out but I don’t think they’ll be good in your case.

#37605 Report Abuse
    Strike12
    Participant

Ann I have one here who can’t handle peas in the first 10. From my research I’ve come up with the Petcurean Go of either the Daily Defense or Sensitivity and Shine lines. I don’t think they had turkey either. Fromm also had a few options that were pea and turkey free. Wellness had two I think.

#43959 Report Abuse
    Paige

Hi
    Having an English Bulldog, I have tried lots of food. We were on Earthborn, The Great Plains Feast and doing pretty well on it. Starting last fall, I noticed the kibble was not formed correctly and very irregular. There was also a lot of residue in the bag. At the same time, my bully started having soft poo problems, along with gas and even some pinkness on his paws. I tried new bags and it was the same. I called the company with my concerns and was told THIS flavor is one they seem to have kibble production problems with. They assured me there was no formula change, although after researching, I did learn companies aren’t required to tell consumers of a formula change for 6 months. This is to allow mfg time to sell the older product. I felt I had to change as there was something changed somewhere, in my opinion. I did read of others online having similar problems. I am still searching for a kibble that works, which is what brought me here.

#43962 Report Abuse
    Case

I use the Primitive Natural formula in my rotation with no complaints.

#43984 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Hi Becky P

Companies are allowed to use up their old bags when they have a formula change for up to 6 months, but the company is not allowed to lie to you if you ask about a formula change. if the company tells you that they are having quality control issues with a particular formula, I imagine that means that others have also complained, and if you read the Earthborn threads on the review side, I think there have been a few complaints lately about something being off. There have also been a couple complaints about Meadow Feast. It could be a manufacturing issue rather than a change in formula, but whatever the case, they need to get it worked out yesterday.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.