Eagle Pack large breed puppy ,or Merrick Whole Earth Farms Puppy?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum Eagle Pack large breed puppy ,or Merrick Whole Earth Farms Puppy?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    shawn b

Our 9 month old Rottweiler is finally transitioned off of the Pro Plan her previous owner had her on, and on to Eagle Pack Large Breed Puppy dry food. The only thing is she doesn’t love it. When I add a handful of Whole Earth Farms dry food she seems to love that. Does any one think The Whole Earth Farms Puppy is just as good as the Eagle Pack LBP? These are the 2 foods I am considering because they have pretty good ratings and they are what I can afford. Any advise would be greatly appreciated and thanks so much!

#105998 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi shawn b-

I have fed my two lab/golden mix dogs both of these brands with very good results. I rotated through all the WEF flavors for about six months with no issues. If she likes it more, and I believe it passes the large breed puppy calcium test, why not feed it?

Also, there are a bunch of posters on this site that highly recommend the Pro Plan food as well. I have not fed it myself, so I can’t really comment on it. But, if she was doing really well on it and liked it, you might want to consider keeping her on it as well.

Good luck. Rottweiler puppies are adorable!

#106017 Report Abuse
    shawn b

Thank-you for your response. The only thing I didn’t like about the Pro Plan she was on is corn being the first ingredients, and corn gluten meal with several other ingredients I want to stay away from. I guess if she likes the WEF better I should give that to her. The calcium content is good for a Large Breed Puppy as well.

#106072 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

You’re welcome! I know corn has a bad reputation in many circles, but I don’t have a problem with it in my dogs’ food. I’m not sure if I’d want it to be the first ingredient either, however. It is a great provider of fatty acids, amino acids and fiber. There are different grades of corn and I believe Purina uses Grade 1 or 2. Hopefully, the Purina experts will back me up on this!

If your dog has a healthy tummy, you could try rotating brands now and then. I believe there are some benefits to it, but not necessary. You don’t have to stick to it for life, so no need to sweat over it too much. Haha! Easy for me to say! I’ve fed Victor, WEF, Eagle Pack, Authority and some others. Next, I’m gonna give Purina a try!

Best wishes to you and your pup. Seems like you are a great pet parent.

#106084 Report Abuse
    shawn b

Thanks so much ,I am trying. But then I had a lapse in judgment and let my Vet talk me into an oral flea and tic pill…NexGard, which gave her terrible diarrhea, took her appetite away and she just acted sick and miserable for 3 days.. Also really bad reviews on line (dangerous side effects) Wow, we really need to educate ourselves to be pro active about what we give our pets! Thanks for your feedback.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.