šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    cockerspanielmom
    Participant

I just wanted any recommendations you have.

I have a 15.5 year old cocker spaniel, mostly healthy.
    We added a 10 month cocker spaniel puppy after losing our 13 year old earlier in the year.

We also have two additional cockers living with my mother in law while we have our house built. a 13 year old tri girl with bladder stones eating a prescription diet WD or CD and a cancer surviving 13 year old buff boy with an enlarged heart but otherwise healthy.

So we fed everyone WD for the past 7+ years due to the one dog who required it. With the puppy in the house, that’s not ideal so our vet suggested a senior formula for the two boys and a puppy formula for the new baby.

We’ve tried Blue Buffalo, it’s our first choice. The puppy really needs grain free.
    They don’t like BB and will barely eat it. We tried some samples of Merrick and they love it but the protein is just too high. We’ve also tried Natural Balance Fish and Potato and Ideal Balance Fish/Potato.

Ideal Balance is only rated a 3 (bleh) but they ate it best. Merrick replied that we should try Castor and Pollux as a lower protein option to Merrick.

I just feel a bit lost because they don’t seem to like any of the foods we are trying yet. We want them to love the food, want to eat it, and it still be healthy. I’ve never had such picky dogs before and the puppy needs that grain free due to possible allergies and it’s just a mess.

#26069 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Wellness Core and Racheal Ray Zero are both affordable grain free options (in my area, at least). The RR is turkey based and the Core has a few selections. Wellness Simple also has one or two grain free options as well.

I don’t think the RR is approved for all life stages (can’t recall off the top of my head), but Core should be. They do also have a puppy line, if you’d rather have do that.

Both also have good manufacturer coupons. $3-4 off any size and variety of RR and $5 off any size and variety of Wellness. The Wellness coupon is always available, and the RR is usually available.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.