Dr Harvey's vs Sojos

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Food Ingredients Dr Harvey's vs Sojos

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Pugmomma
    Participant

Hello,
    I’ve been looking at some options of a pre mix to start my pug puppy on raw food. I have read great reviews on both pre mixes, Dr. Harveys Veg to Bowl Fine Ground (Veg-To-Bowl Fine Ground – Dr. Harvey’s) and Sojos Grain Free Dog Food Mix (https://www.sojos.com/products/dog-f…e-dog-food-mix) but I’m not sure which one would be better, Dr. Harvey’s has potatoes in it and Sojos’s has garlic… So I really don’t know!
    Has anyone tried these pre mixes for their dogs? Any advice?
    Thanks for reading and for your help.

Stefanie

#26110 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

What about The Honest Kitchens Preference?

#26111 Report Abuse

Isn’t garlic good in moderation for dogs? I know for use humans garlic is great for providing health benefits.

#26112 Report Abuse
    Pugmomma
    Participant

Thanks for your reply, I read that Honest kitchen had a voluntary recall in February on some of their food (parsley that contain salmonella) not on Preference but I would rather not buy from a company that had a recall so recently.
    About garlic, I’ve read So many things about it, some say the effect is accumulative so no matter how little you give it may still be dangerous but some others say they have been feeding it for years to their dogs with amazing results as a repellent.
    Sojos sent me a sample, my pug loves it, it smells soooo yummy but I find pieces of carrot in his poop, so I thought Dr. Harvey’s Fine Ground could be better for his digestion, but I have never fed my dog anything with potatoes. I just think is a ingredient used with a filling purpose, not beneficial. So I just don’t know what to do!

#26114 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

It was a parsley recall; they’ve changed their parsley provider. If you go to the website, you can find out where every ingredient comes from. They are very transparent, they’re also one of two foods that can say human. Other is Weruva.

#26115 Report Abuse

I don’t believe dogs are affected by salmonella due to their intestine track being too short and not allowing the salmonella to stay in the intestine. I maybe be wrong here it’s just what I’ve read from these forums.

#26116 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

I would not let the parsley/salmonella recall issue deter me from buying or using THK for one second. Just MHO.

#26118 Report Abuse
    beaglemom

I’m not a big fan of Sojos because it’s too chunky (and you find pieces of veggies after it comes back out, like you said)… I’ve used THK Preference and also Grandma Lucy’s Pureformance (no potato) with great success.

#26121 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I’m using in no particular order Sojo’s, The Honest Kitchen and Addiction. Actually all 3 products are open! I haven’t noticed frequent big chunks of Sojo’s in the dogs’ poops but they’ve been on it for a couple of bags. They get probiotics and digestive enzymes sometimes too. I had to add (as a preference) some protein to the Sojo’s and Addiction since they are not as high as I’d like. And I’m not sure that I would buy Sojo’s in the future as I believe the celery (or some of the dried veggies) is from China. But, they don’t eat it every day either. I have so many different foods around here.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.