šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Roger S

So i was searching around and stumbled upon this article about dogs and cheese. I became interested mainly due to me being a huge cheese lover and eating it most of the night with some nice wine on the side. I was wonder what your thoughts are on when it comes to feeding your dogs cheese or if any of you do and have. What kind of affects has it had on them and how much have/do you give them?

#103469 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Roger,
    It will all depend on your dogs, I always gave my last dog & cat cheese they loved their little piece of cheese, now I have a dog with IBD so I have to be a bit more careful what he eats but he loves his cheese twisties he gets a few twisties every night if he goes down stairs & does a wee before bed, he flys down my stairs does his wee then he flys back up the stairs & sits & waits for a few twisties & now my new cat does it as well but she’s a bit slow on coming back inside…..some nights I give them both a little piece of vintage cheese & Patch gets 1/4 of my probiotic Yukult drink every morning….both are fine no diarrhea.

I’m a believer in giving my pets all types of food even my cat she eats everything, my last cat LOVED his cheese as well….
    The only reasons they say don’t give your pets human food is it makes them bludge food when your eating, so just make sure when you do give any little food treats that your eating don’t give them the food while you’re eating put theirs in a bowl either before or after you eat, un less you dont mind being watched while your eating, they do give up & walk away when they work out they are not getting any food..

#103470 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I say NO.
    NO dairy products. Dogs don’t need them and they can cause diarrhea.
    A bite of cooked lean broiled chicken would be a better choice for a snack (IMO)

Here is an informative article, excerpts below (out on context) click on link for full article. Hope this helps.
    https://dogpack.com/blog/dog-care/can-dogs-eat-cheese

The internet is divided when it comes to feeding Fido cheesy treats. One camp says itā€™s fine in moderation, and others forbid it altogether. As with any new food,Ā run any questions by your vet ahead of time.
    There isnā€™t an easy answer for this; some dogs will be fine with cheese, and others may be super sensitive to it. Even dog owners who swear by cheesy treats admit that it should be an occasional indulgence, not a regular snack. The fat and calorie content of most commercial cheeses will pile on the pounds, and smaller dogs especially may end up gaining excessive weight.
    While some cheese products are better than others, there are certain cheeses that should be avoided altogether.
    Like humans, some dogs are lactose intolerant. Any cheese consumption for a lactose-intolerant dog is likely to end up in:
    Horrible, never-ending streams of diarrhea
    Farts so foul that your indoor plants will wither and die before your eyes (along with your nasal hairs)
    Vomiting, Exorcist-style
    One sad puppy
    And yes, Iā€™m one of lucky few who found out my dog was lactose intolerant the hard way! It goes without saying that a lactose-intolerant dog should avoid all dairy products.
    Can Dogs Eat Blue Cheese?
    Blue cheeses, like Gorgonzola, Stilton, Roquefort, and other French favorites should be added to your list of no-no foods for Fido. When blue cheese starts to get super-ripe, it can produce roquefortine, a potentially lethal toxin for dogs to consume. There have been documented cases of dogs dying from consuming old blue cheese, so keep it 100% out of your dogā€™s way.
    All cheeses can produce roquefortine if theyā€™re old enough, so if your dog has ā€œrescuedā€ any cheese from the trash and starts to demonstrate any of the following symptoms, take them to the nearest animal hospital at once:
    Shivering
    Spasms
    Vomiting
    Diarrhea
    Lethargy
    Neurological symptoms (i.e. confusion, aggression, etc.)

#103476 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I haven’t given my dogs any fancy cheeses, just American slices, Swiss and Monterrey Jack and cheddar. They haven’t had any issues. I use cheese to give them pills or as treats.

#103478 Report Abuse
    a c

I gave my dog a spoonful of cottage cheese with a sprinkle of turmeric as afternoon snack.

#103557 Report Abuse
    anonymous
    #103566 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Wow Anon!

#103992 Report Abuse
    anonymous

More on turmeric, lol
    Slightly off topic, but tumeric was mentioned a couple of posts ago
    Excerpt from http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2017/08/evidence-update-biologic-plausibility-of-curcumin-turmeric-very-low/
    Click on link for full article.

“Overall, there is no compelling clinical evidence in humans supporting any use of curcumin or other turmeric compoundsā€¦There is virtually no clinical research in companion animals, and what there is does not support claims of benefit from turmeric compounds. Finally, the limited research to date suggests a few potential risks but the significance of these is unclear”.

#104030 Report Abuse
    a c

Oh. Anon101.

I originally gave my dog with lymphoma 2% low fat spoonful of cottage cheese with a sprinkle of turmeric following the budwig protocol. He won’t eat it, but my other dogs did. So I continue feeding them the same. I believed cottage cheese is fermented. Is that correct?

#104033 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I don’t know. I’ve never tried it. It might not agree with some dogs (loose stools).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.