šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Kayla

On 12/18/2014, He went to the Vet because he had some strange worms in his stool! He was given Virbantel which is pyrantel pamoate/praziquantel 114mg! I was told to give him two and then in 2 weeks give him another one! So far, he has been fine! Not feeling sick or anything. He was very active and playful like he always is.

However…few days later after giving him the dewormer he has puked 7 times tonight! Could it be the dewormer or…. what? It can’t be the food.. I have been feeding it to him for a while and it has never made him sick or vomit before.

I’m worried sick, and the vet is closed!

#60940 Report Abuse
    Kayla

He has puked up his food also! Undigested food! And, he loves his food. It’s the same brand and I have been feeding it to him for a while and never made him sick before. I am thinking the dewormer meds upset his stomach.

#60941 Report Abuse
    frostyrockyk

So sorry !! Some vets have a 24 hr line , they may call back . I don’t know much about the drug , in the past mine have barfed , but shortly after .. hours not days .

#60942 Report Abuse
    frostyrockyk

Many times no barf at all

#60943 Report Abuse
    frostyrockyk

call 785 532 5679 24 hr free hot line vet college

#60944 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Eek! It could be the dewormer. If you have an emergency vet near you, call them. At this point your biggest concern is probably dehydration. You can check for dehydration by lightly pinching the skin between the shoulder blades. If it goes down back to normal, he is not dehydrated. It it doesn’t go back to normal position right away, he could be dehydrated. If it stays up for more than 5 seconds, then he is severely dehydrated. Other symptoms are sunken eyes and lethargy. If he is dehydrated, try to get him to the vet ASAP. If he is not, and there is not 24 hour vet near you, then try to keep him hydrated and take him to the vet first thing tomorrow. I would recommend fasting him tomorrow at breakfast, and then see what the vet says. I hope someone else sees this also, I’m not as experienced as some other users. I won’t be on any more tonight, but I will check for an update tomorrow. I hope he feels better!!!

#60945 Report Abuse
    Kayla

What is fasting?

And, he doesn’t appear dehydrated! He’s been drinking water. Right now, he is just laying down and resting! No more puking so far!!

#60946 Report Abuse
    frostyrockyk

no food …….. also water 12 hours if they will put him under

#60947 Report Abuse
    Kayla

As for the dehydrated trick… I did it, came back normal.. doesn’t appear dehydrated.

#60948 Report Abuse
    Kayla

Put him under?…

#60949 Report Abuse
    frostyrockyk

I got that phone # off google is it a good phone #

#60950 Report Abuse
    frostyrockyk

anesthetic…..,, so they can cut him open to work on him

#60951 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Fasting means he doesn’t eat.

#60952 Report Abuse
    frostyrockyk

I hope all is well . I did find a different FREE 24 hour vet hot line 1-888-426-4435 , All of us should have the numbers in a place they can be had quickly . Also look for numbers of vets close to home that will take a call or return a call quickly 24 hours a Day !!

#60955 Report Abuse
    Kayla

Update!

Dexter is currently relaxing and I think he is feeling better because he is no longer puking! I took him outside to use restroom and he wanted to play! I will continue to watch him and if things get worse… I will call the Vet in the morning. I also found a Vet hospital that I can call near by for an emergency visit if needed but so far, I don’t think an emergency vet visit is necessary right now. I will update again in a few hours or in the morning.

#60957 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The wormer should have already cleared his system, so it shouldn’t have been that, but there are any number of reasons that dogs vomit. After a dog has vomited, they should have no food or water for a few hours, then give about 1 oz of water and see if they keep it down, if so then they can have a little more water about an hour later and then SLOWLY reintroduce food and regular water. If they vomit again after leaving them with no food and water for a few hours, they should see a vet. That’s a sign of a blockage, or other serious condition.

#61073 Report Abuse
    Kayla

Thanks!!

Last night after the vomiting and earlier today, I left out water for him and he kept it down.
    Later today, I started to slowly reintroduce his food and so far no more vomiting. I think he is feeling much better because he isn’t vomiting anymore and he is acting like his old self again.

#61074 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

That’s great!!! You probably don’t need to take him to the vet then, though it couldn’t hurt to call them or shoot them an email to let them know what happened.

#61085 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

When you worm him again, get a different all wormer one with different ingredients to the one you used, I can only use Milbemax all the other all wormers make Patch sick & have diarrhoea 12 -24 hours after taken the tablet…Sentinel Spectrum has Milbemycin Oxime like Milbemax all wormer & Sentinel is for Worms, Heartworms & flea eggs & you give monthly & always give tablet or tasty chews on a full stomach, best at night with Dinner…
    I’m going to ask vet if I can give Patch Sentinel that way he’ll be wormed, Heartwormed & fleas, at the moment Milbemax allwormer is just doing worms & heartworm but he never seems to have fleas, only hitch hikers that jump on his leg on our walks & he tell me so I kill the flea..

#61111 Report Abuse
    frostyrockyk

Smart Dog !!

#63840 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi don’t use that dewormer again read the ingredients & pick one that has different ingredients, when I wormed patch 27th December (cause he had dead tapeworms on his bum & a few dead rice worms in his poo) the night I gave him the Mibemax allwormer & next day he was fine, then on the second day he was eating grass & doing his licking mouth what he does when he fells sick & sleeping most of the day then on the 3 day he was fine again….

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.