🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mutts and Cats
    Participant

I’ve been researching toothpastes that I must confess would actually be for my cats. My dogs don’t have dental problems, but some of my cats definitely do. Hoping that if I start brushing their teeth I can increase the time between vet cleanings.
    But I’ve been appalled at the ingredients that I’m seeing in dog/cat toothpastes. All of the major brands include sodium benzoate or potassium thiocyanate, or other undesirable ingredients. One of my cats is old and getting frail and I don’t want to subject her to those.

From what I’ve read, I think an enzymatic toothpaste would be the most likely type to actually work, with minimal brushing, but I would like to find one without other undesirable ingredients.
    So far the “cleanest” one I’ve found is Vet’s Best. Ingredients: Glycerin, Aloe, Pectin, Neem Oil, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate), Glucose Oxidase (Enzymes) and Natural Flavors.
    It doesn’t have as many enzymes as some other brands, and I don’t like having to wonder what the “natural flavors” includes, but overall the ingredients seem better than other brands I have looked at.

Does anyone have other recommendations? Or, comments on my concerns regarding sodium benzoate and potassium thiocyanate?

#186668 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi M&C-

Are you familiar with: http://vohc.org/VOHCAcceptedProductsTable_Cats.pdf

I unfortunately, do not brush my cats’ teeth, but I do give them either Greenies or Dentabites. I belive they help, but brushing would be best. Hope this helps!

#186682 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Hi M & C,

I’ll start off by saying I’ve never looked at the ingredients in toothpastes so I’m ignorant in this area. I’ve usually thought of toothpastes as primarily flavoring agents to facilitate brushing but believe a study was published that demonstrated that brushing with the tested product, which as I recall was “Healthy Mouth” resulted in better outcomes.

Take a look at the VOHC list that crazy4cats linked to.

I will say that if your cat has not had a recent oral exam be cautious. If the mouth has any painful lesions the brushing will be painful.

For cats I’ve used tuna juice, or jarred meat baby foods ass a “dentifrice” and a Q tip brand cosmetic swab as the “brush” For my dogs I’ve acclimated them to a spin brush and used babyfood. spray cheese and C.E.T products.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.