šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    little pea
    Participant

Having done an allergy test, I now can’t find a food… in addition one item that came up as positive was yeast. When I contacted the test clinic they could not give me a break out as to what kind of yeast….
    Where do I go from here?

Many allergic items were borderline to borderline positive. Raw is not really an option as we are talking about a 110 lbs of dog.
    I am currently using ZIWIPeak venison but this has green lip mussels… and she has a borderline allergy to shell fish mix. It too is a bit pricey.

#22699 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi little pea –

Allergy tests are very inaccurate and will often give false positives – I wouldn’t go off what this test told you. What you really need to do is perform an elimination diet – it’s the only accurate way to determine what ingredients your dog has sensitivities to.

#22874 Report Abuse
    bigjake
    Participant

Hello I am new here and was about to take my dog for allergy tests. Do you really know for sure that the tests don’t work? I was quoted hundreds of dollars to 1000…can you elaborate on how you know this??(hound dog mom)

#22882 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant
    #22885 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

What type of testing were you having done? Dr. Dodd’s NutraScan, which is a salivary, test looks a little promising: http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/07/26/a-great-tool-for-dogs-with-rumbling-tummy-gas-diarrhea-or-vomiting.aspx . However, I still think the best best is an elimination diet – you know the results are going to be accurate and you can save all that money.

Also – just to be sure – we’re talking food allergies right?

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
    #22890 Report Abuse

I recently did the Nutriscan test. I think it was pretty accurate. Harry didn’t have a extraordinarily high reaction to any one ingredient but quite a few common ones were high enough to get pegged “avoid”. Some of those I knew thru attempting to find a kibble he could handle- turkey, chicken, venison, salmon, & sweet potato (which at least confirmed I wasn’t crazy). Others I didn’t know- milk, oatmeal, soy. I use the results as a guide. I will avoid the turkey, salmon & sweet potato as he has real problems w/ them, but I’m going to try the chicken in raw form, he appears to be able to handle it. It’s recommended to retest annually I don’t know about that yet.

#22901 Report Abuse
    bigjake
    Participant

Hello again,Yes Food allergies, Our Jake is a pure white American bulldog. I planned on taking him to vet for testing..if I can find one that takes payments! We have been feeding him diamond foods, all flavors…still itchy, then went to their new beef grain free, more itchy..now were on taste of wild prairie mix and hes scratching worse than ever..The more we spend the more he scratches. I have read a lot in here and thinking we may need to switch to fish a veggies. I have saved a half dozen of old dog food bags to start goin thru ingredient lists!

#22903 Report Abuse
    bigjake
    Participant

Also he doesn’t have any gas or stomach troubles…just lots of itchy dry skin.

#22924 Report Abuse
    little pea
    Participant

Hi bigjake and all. I did the full panel blood allergy test; environmental, mold, food, specialty foods. My breeder and vet recommended this over the scratch test. The problems for my dog were similar, it sounds, to yours itchy skin. I have done a few steroid shots, but I think we all agree this is not a path to take that effectively manages the problem though I do think environmental allergies season is a large contributor. My dog like yours will eat just about anything set down or just spit out the ite. We have no gas or stomach issues.
    There is a lot of discussion on allergies and what test to conduct and the more deeply I looked into it the more confusing and controversial. My dog’s most reactive item was yeast on the food panel, but they do not do a break out the type…. beef and dairy, lamb, potato, rice, soy etc. etc. Molds allergy also reflected yeast and molds on food.
    In following things up the aspect of yeast has fascinated me.
    I have feed taste of the wild pacific salmon that contains potato and sweet potato…we have a lesser allergy to sweet potato. Salmon neutral
    I have recently switched to Ziwi Peak venison but it is pricey for a large dog and I am looking actively looking at many things. The ziwi was helpful with less itching. I have also introduced goat milk yogurt. I believe I briefly saw a comment on another forum about rotating dog foods to keep the gut in a good working order, this and following what foods make things better or worse. I know eliminating bread and cheese was night and day with my girl.
    My vet also said all of our bodies gradually become less tolerant to specific items we are allergic to…so with a four year old dog we believe we are seeing longer and more aggravated allergy reactions as certain intolerances develop in our bodies.
    Also brushing and washing the dog with a medicated shampoo is helpful. Be glad you have a short hair! Try some Alaskan salmon oil. I was also told dogs are more reactive to white fish species.

#22930 Report Abuse
    little pea
    Participant

I would also like to like to note that 4 different owners of puppies from the same litter of 9 puppies have or will be completing the blood allergy test. We have yet to compare our notes but a brother and sister have tested with similar results.

Blood work is pretty easy and cheaper, though not a final answer a decent heads up.

#22952 Report Abuse
    bigjake
    Participant

Thanks to all for the replies! Little pea we obviously have something in common! I had an idea to call the breeder in ohio and ask what he feeds his dogs..especially if it is inherited condition…I am in Arizona so he may be allergic to 115 degree weather,haha… Thanks again!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.