šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    equinelove93
    Participant

I know there is probably no accurate answer for this question because all dogs are diffrent.
    So my question is: approximately how long does it take for a dog to digest his food from the time he eats to the time he deficates?

The reason why I’m asking this is because I crate my dog overnight and sometimes but not often I wake up to find out he pooped his cage. I always let him go potty before putting him to bed but I want to know what a good time to feed in the evening to possibly avoid this. Oh and I put him in his crate around 10 pm and wake up at 9 am.

I don’t know if this matters, but I feed him holistic blend.

#19832 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

You’re right is is different for every dog, but it is also different for every food, so it would be impossible to answer. How old is your dog? If he is still a puppy, he may not be old enough to hold it for 11 hours. The thing to do is to try different times for feeding and see what results you get. Likely, the stool he is producing at night is from an earlier meal, but eating another meal will cause the intestines to speed up, so the last meal before bed is still affecting everything. If you feed last thing , then try feeding much earlier. If you feed early evening, try feeding right before you head for bed.

Another thing to consider, if your dogs crate is too large and your dog can poop and get away from it, he may not think there is a problem with going in his crate.

#19847 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I let the dogs out and feed dinner at 9-10 pm and let all them out around 730 or so in the morning just because that’s when I get home from work. Maybe you could feed a smaller meal at bedtime and a larger one for breakfast. Or just feed once a day in the morning.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.