🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jean Ann

Three Cavalier, two with MVD but stage 0. Looking for well-balanced dry food

#44838 Report Abuse
    Jean Ann

Cardiologist Dr. Charla Jones (Austin, TX) sees my Cavaliers, and she says the high protein, grain free dry foods are too rich for my dogs. Too much protein is hard on the kidneys, etc. Also, my dogs tend to gain weight on it (bad for their hearts); their normal weights range from 17 to 19 lbs. The other dry foods that are not rated well. My Cavaliers get very high grade fish oil twice daily and are doing beautifully heart-wise. Limited ingredients have about 21% – 24% protein and doesn’t taste very good, but they’ll eat it.
    Also our 6 month old, 7 lb grand dog, Lily, gets dark gunk in her ears when eating the Victor dry and she started having congestion and a wet nose wheeze when on Merrick grain-free, but that could be seasonal allergies, I guess. At a loss as to what to feed her.
    We fed Muenster organic for years. NEED HELP Any help out there?
    Many thanks, Jean Ann Jones

#44851 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Hi, Cavvie lovers! I have 3 of this beautiful breed. I have Laverne, a Ruby retired show champion who weighs around 17 lbs. and tends to have mild intolerances and trouble in the past with anal glands. She is 9 yrs. and has a murmur according to my holistic vet. No meds, though. She’s lived with us for 3 years now. Hazel is my 7 year old Black and Tan who weighs around 19 lbs., all muscle. She was born with a murmur but has never had meds. She’s been with us for 5 years. She and Laverne are registered therapy dogs. My newest is Rupert, a 7 year old Blenheim retired show champion who weighs around 19 lbs. I’ve had Rupert for 3 months now. He has a grade 5 murmur and MVD, asymptomatic, however he is on enalapril twice a day. Now that his health is pretty good for him (he came to me not so healthy) I plan on making him a therapy dog, as well.

I had to try many foods due to Laverne’s intolerances, which started with loose stool, rumbly tummy, not wanting to eat at times and of course the dreaded anal gland issues. We are finally (hope I don’t jinx us, lol) doing great with Wellness totally. I’ve always used Wellness cans and biscuits/treats but their kibble size was just too big for them, especially Laverne who I needed it to work for the most. So I used others, like Acana Singles, Merrick, Instinct LIDs, Zignature, Annamaet, Dr. Tim’s, Victors and probably others I’ve forgotten about. Some worked and I’ll still feed if needed…Annamaet, Dr. Tim’s and Victor, but a lot of others didn’t. I even tried premade raw, which was fine but too hard for my household to deal with. Foods like THK didn’t go over well. However, recently Wellness came out with new Small Breed formulas…YAY! So I tried them. I now rotate through Small Breed Senior, Small Breed Whitefish and Small Breed Simple Salmon along with their canned Stews for topping kibble and Yogurt biscuits for bedtime snack. I use their Pure Bites for training. Things are great, atm!! I do add a probiotic/enzyme supplement and a fiber supplement called Firm Up with each meal. It’s simply dried pumpkin and apple pectin. They also get coq10 for their heart. This has been working for us for 2 months now and I will continue this regimen. Sometimes I will use other canned toppers, like Simply Nourish, Fromm or Weruva for variety. All 3 have such soft wonderful coats and great skin. I did shave them down a little for the first time this summer and can honestly say that I love the haircuts! I kept their ears and tails long. I will keep them cut this way. I hope some of this info. gives hope for you guys with other Cavvies, my heart breed! 🙂 <3

• This reply was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by Mom2Cavs.
    #44857 Report Abuse
    Jean Ann

Hello and THANK YOU for the reply, Mom2Cavs. Lily’s vet suggested grain free, but I’ve looked on Chewy.com and found the Wellness Toy Breed which is rated 5 stars. It has ground brown rice, ground barley and oatmeal, but no corn or corn gluten. So it wouldn’t be grain free but it would be without the corn, corn gluten and wheat.

I’ve been feeding a little Merrick grain-free canned on top of my Cavaliers’ dry to help make the fry a little better, but all three of my Cavalier are voracious eaters, so no worries about appetite. Their dry was Victor and Iams Veterinary Formula because Dr. Jones doesn’t like too much protein, so I mix the two to keep the protein down. My Cavaliers get Carlson’s Fish oil, about 1000 mg, twice daily. It has made a huge difference in their heart health. Piper (6 years old) was diagnosed at 2 yrs. of age with early onset MVD, stage 0, and she actually improved at her 3 yr old check up. Maintained ever since. Presley has the same but with irregular heartbeat, and his checkups at 2 years old and at 3 were great… maintaining well. Do you give your Cavaliers fish oil?

I would like to hear about the CoQ10, though. Is it for people like my Carlson’s and you give it to your dogs? What strength, etc? Thanks again for your kind reply!
    Jean Ann

#44858 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

I sometimes give fish oil, but tend to feed a fish based food instead because Laverne gets loose stools if I add too many oils. COQ10 is a supplement that is good for the heart and also gums. I give both made for human and dogs. The dose is usually 1 mg per pound. Right now I have on hand 10 mg capsules and 30 mg capsules that are fine to give. The 10 mg are vetri science for dogs and the 30 mg I ordered from Swanson’s. I have also given heart supplements for dogs that contain other good things to give like hawthorn, taurine, l-carnitine. Some brands I have used are vetri science cardio strength, thorne bio-cardio, nature’s farmacy heartwise. I am going to order some chews from Ark Naturals that are from their gray muzzle line for the heart soon to try.

#44987 Report Abuse
    T
    Participant

You can also get CoQ10 by feeding heart to your pets. You can chop it up and cook lightly. It’s a good whole-food source of many nutrients, including CoQ10!

Tabitha
    http://naturalalternativesvet.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.