🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    cashmyhorse
    Participant

Just found out two days ago my 7 year old Chihuahua is diabetic. He is currently on Royal Canin Satiety which the vet says is good for diabetic. I have been researching and I do not want to keep him on this food. Can anyone give me suggestions on food choices, BESIDES what the vets push. No offense but I want a better food. I’m willing to make his food, just have no clue what to cook, how much what vitamins and so forth. Thanks so much! 🙂

#15780 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Look at this same forum under “diet and health issues”, page two, for a thread about diabetes.

#15783 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi cashmyhorse –

If home cooking for your dog is something you’re willing to do and can afford, I strongly feel that a balanced homemade diet utilizing fresh, low glycemic ingredients would be the best option for your dog.

Here is some information on diet and diabetes:

dogaware.com/articles/wdjdiabetesdiets.html

As far as balancing the diet, there is a company called “Balance IT” that has vitamin/mineral supplements designed to balance a homemade diet. There is a recipe generator on their website in which you can enter information about your dog, including any health issues such as diabetes, and a recipe will be created to suit your dog’s needs – check it out at balanceit.com. There are also some pre-mixes with low glycemic ingredients that would be suitable for a dog with diabetes – The Honest Kitchen’s Preference, Grandma Lucy’s Pureformance and Birkdale Petmix. With the “Balance IT” supplements and pre-mixes generally all you need to add is meat and water, all the vitamins the dog needs are in the mix. If you want to feed a completely made from scratch diet, invest in a good book with recipes that conform to AAFCO nutrient standards. My favorite book is “Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet” by Steve Brown. Another great book is “Real Food for Healthy Dogs and Cats” by Dr. Becker. Dog Aware has some great tips on homemade diets as well.

#15806 Report Abuse
    cashmyhorse
    Participant

Thank y’all so much!!! I’m so upset about my sweet little boy. I will check out this information. I want to do the best I can for my best friend, he means the world to me!!!! 🙂

#15813 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Since you have a small dog you might look into ZiwiPeak. They have dry and canned.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.