šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    caffeine65

Good Afternoon,
    Two weeks ago my dog was diagnosed with diabetes (he is also losing his vision). I have been giving him insulin but his blood sugar levels are not really going down (they were in the high 500s now at 540). I have been searching for “good” dog food for him and was wondering if I should just make it myself. He started to eat the Iams chicken/rice dog food and I mixed a no grain dry food but he has been snubbing it for the past couple of days.

Any suggestions pro/con?

Thanks.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Mike Sagman. Reason: Fix Duplicate Topic Title
    #40202 Report Abuse
    jgr789

When my dog was first diagnosed with diabetes three years ago, I fed her a combination of the Prescription Hills W/D and Wellness Core Reduced Fat kibble. I didn’t like the ingredients in the prescription food so I thought mixing the two would be better. She was fairly well regulated until a recent bout of pancreatitis. We are also currently looking for a new food, something that will be good for both conditions.

Good luck to you with the diabetes. There’s a lot of trial and error involved in finding the right food. You might also want to check out the K9diabetes forum where you will find a great deal of information and support. http://www.k9diabetes.com

Judy

#40356 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I hope this article helps:
    /frequently-asked-questions/diabetic-dog-food/

Also, I know Nutrisca is known to be good for diabetic dogs as it is low on the glycemic index. I have fed it with great success (although my dog is not diabetic).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.