šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    cindy q
    Participant

First is one better than the other? My picky eaters seem to like this type of food, they love Big Dog Natural and now they will also eat Stewarts freeze dried raw. I want to add more so I can rotate their food. What freeze dried or dehydrated food do you like? They seem to prefer a chunky food not mushy, they would not eat Honest Kitchen and I tried several of them. So what are your favorites and how many foods are good to use in a rotation? I was thinking 3.

#54622 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Freeze dried is better. Dehydrating applies some heat, which destroys some very sensitive nutrients. It also takes longer allowing for more bacteria to grow. It isn’t a huge difference though. I just don’t think in an either/or fashion when it comes to dog food. I think and. Feed dehydrated and freeze dried. And raw and (fill in blank)…

#54634 Report Abuse
    Nancy C

So, I just emailed DARWIN’S to cancel my order which was due Oct 22. I told them the new formulation has too much fat and with the price increase along with the incr in fat — NO, NOT FOR US. Too bad.

I was sorry about that bec I saw Darwins as a primary participant in my supply. I liked the fact that it was organic. So, do you ladies feel that STEWARTS is equal to the old Darwin’s?

I don’t hear you mentioning ZIWIPEAK. (I’m not attracted to it for some reason.) Should we be? And I can’t get into K9Natural, mostly bec of the fat. So, Good Question, CindyQ. ANSWERS is a good one I plan to try. Also Vital Essentials and That other Raw one Dori was trying. O A Raw or something like that? It is supposedly very good.

#54646 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Sojo’s is chunky and Only Natural Pet looks similar. Smack is the shape of squares (like Golden Grahams) and rehydrates as chunky, unless you soak it a real long time, then it becomes mushy. Grandma Lucy’s Pureformance and Addiction are like oatmeal.

We use ZiwiPeak here and I don’t add water to it. I use it like a topper on other foods.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #54649 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

Thanks for the replies! I just found NRG dog products, originally in Canada but now in the US. Its a dehydrated Raw and it looks very good. Anyone use it?

#54705 Report Abuse
    JeffreyT

Our very picky little dogs love all the freeze dried they’ve tried so far…Stella and Chewys, Primal, Orijen, Big Dog Natural, Healthy Pet Products (both the freeze dried and frozen, it’s the only frozen food they gobble up..but since it has garlic we limit to a few times a week). They like Addiction, which is crumbly like Big Dog Natural, but Big Dog Natural is way more palatable.

They go crazy for Vital Essentials but it needs to be soaked overnight in fridge. We soak it in water along with some pumpkin, pureed veggies, Animal Essentials Green Alternative or Dogzymes Cornucopia fruit/veggie mix for added fiber and nutrition since this food has no fruits or vegetables. In the morning each piece is cut in half or thirds then put back in water where the rest is quickly absorbed. Once reconstituted it becomes chewy-like which gives it a novel texture and won’t turn to mush. We make a few days worth and take the chill off by placing stainless steel bowl with food in a hot pan with some water for a few minutes.

Even though their favorite is freeze dried and the bulk of their diet, they also eat Ziwi Peak, non-gmo small breed kibble and dehydrated. They will only eat Grandma Lucys or Honest kitchen if we add some cooked meat along with other enticing toppers like cheese, egg yolk or crumbled Origen or Stella and Chewy treats. We buy sample packs so it’s easier to augment with these foods.

NRG has quality ingredients but they wouldn’t eat it…reminded me of Sojos which they wouldn’t eat either.

Good to know you pup likes Stewarts b/c we’re trying that next. Dogs for the Earth looks good as well…it’s organic dehydrated patties but I believe meat is cooked first. We were also going to try Smack when it’s available again in US.

#54714 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

JeffreyT do you remember what the consistency of NRG was? I am trying to find something similar to BDN in consistency, this is what they prefer. Thanks!

#54715 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

I know you said Addiction was crumbly like BDN but it only got 3 stars, so I didn’t try this one.

#54718 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

Nancy, I never used Darwins so I don’t know how it would compare to Stewarts. I still prefer BDN over any I have tried, mostly because its easy, scoop add water wait a few minutes and its done. The Stewarts I have to add water and break up the little cubes.

#54721 Report Abuse
    JeffreyT

Cindy, NRG meat pieces are a little smaller with more crumbs, and have long pieces of squash or carrot. You can email NRG and get samples.

We sometimes buy the 4 ounce sample bags of Addiction but only use occasionally due to canola oil. I like that the meat sources are free range game and come from a pristine, non-polluted area.

I know how challenging it can be with picky eaters…rotating often seems to keep mine more interested in eating.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.