COOKED raw food

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum COOKED raw food

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Pakalolo

My Bouvier has eosinophilia, IBD, slow stomach mobility, and… you name it. We’ve finally seem to have hit the gold pot with raw duck. We’ve been giving him the Pet4Life brand. However, he rejects it when it’s cold, so if I fry it like a burger (no oil), he will eat it fine. I know, I’ve spoiled him, but he’s had so many health issues that now I will try anything to see him eat. My concern is about the amount of nutrients that we lose in the heating process. My vet’s assistant tells me it is not that much (and yes, the most important is that he’s eating), but still… I just don’t want to be giving him “empty calories”. What’s your experience? Any words of advice? Thank you!

#94216 Report Abuse
    Andy B

My guess is it is nominal…We don’t eat our meat raw so as not to lose nutritional value..I give my 3 dogs chicken breast in addition to their regular food and I always cook it..Just sayin’..

#94217 Report Abuse
    Pakalolo

Yes, I too tend to think that there isn’t much harm done in cooking it. Still, I welcome hearing what the experts have to say about it.

#94221 Report Abuse
    elaine c

Have you tried ANSWERS Pet Food? look it up… it is all fermented and GREAT for dogs that have stomach issues… My little Pittie, Lucy was throwing up blood and pooping blood, I changed over to this food and she doesn’t even have gas anymore!! I was told that gas really is not a good. It means the food is not good.. I don’t mean spoiled, I mean not quality. Answers is raw.. I LOVE LOVE it ans would never use anything else. It comes in 4 different meats. google it, go to dogfoodadvisor.com.. It is national. Best of luck!!
    Elaine

#94237 Report Abuse
    Pakalolo

Hi, Elaine: First, thanks a lot for your thoughtful note. I really appreciate it. Second, it’s funny that you say it’s national. I’m in Canada and Pets4Life is Canadian. 🙂 Having said that, I will most definitely google ANSWERS pet food. I always like to have a plan B, just in case. Once again, thanks very much. 🙂

#94432 Report Abuse
    Martha G

As long as it’s not overcooked with that “charcoaled edge” look we humans like so much, metabolically should remain nearly identical in the dog’s digestive system. After all, they use hydrochloric acid as a digestive juice, so a little heat denaturing shouldn’t affect the quality. I, too, cook my raw diet if it includes chicken as I’m so concerned about its handling before I get it. I’m sure you’ve already tried this, but just to double check – any luck with eggs?
    Hope Pakalolo continues a healthy recovery. Also, have heard from our group of great results with bone broth.

#94441 Report Abuse
    Pakalolo

Thanks, Martha G. I’ll certainly keep that in mind. He loves eggs, but now that we seem to have nailed it with the raw duck, we don’t want to give him anything else. Having said that, I could try adding the egg to the raw food (without cooking the patties) and see if he accepts it. Thanks for the valuable suggestion!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.