Colitis

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Elyse K

My 91/2 year old Corgi has been having issues for the last year with loose stools and sometimes with blood in it. Bloodwork has only shown slight pancreatitis, although she really has no symptoms of this. Vet put her on Hills prescription I/D and there really is no change. Looking for suggestions for other foods to try. Thanks

#56401 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

What were you feeding before? Sometimes colitis is a food reaction issue, so you may need to start looking at ingredient lists to see if you can find a common denominator.

#56416 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Elyse, I few ladies with dogs with Pancreatitis & Coilts feed vet diet Royal Canin low fat gastro fat is 7%, …I feed the vet diet Eukanuba Intestinal low residue kibble fat-10%..
    if you dont want to try vet diets look for a premium low fat diet thats under 10% Fat with limited ingredients ….you dont say if the I/d is wet or dry…I didnt have any luck with wet foods made it worse…
    “Natural Balance” the Potatoes & Kangaroo or Rabbit & Potatos a few ladies use this kibble aswell with great results…also is ur dog just eating the Hills I/d & no other foods?..
    here’s a link to the Natural Balance
    http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/product.aspx?ProductID=191&product=L.I.D.+Limited+Ingredient+Diets%c2%ae+Potato+%26+Kangaroo…

#56418 Report Abuse
    Elyse K

Before she was on the Hills Prescription I/D low fat (using the dry and a little bit of wet) we used Nutros Lamb and Rice for many, many years without any issues. She does not get any table scraps and the only treats she gets are also the vet prescribed. I will look into the Natural Balance, thank you. And I know there is another topic for this but going to try a probiotic also.

#56422 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

I forgot to ask was she put on Metronidazole for 2 weeks for the blood & lose stools, the Metronidazole did help my boy, vet also gave me script to keep in cupboard if he does sloppy poos with blood….it hasnt happen since being put on the Eukanuba Intestinal low residue kibble..
    Foods that can cause Colitis, muscle meats, peas, beans, potatoes watch the starch in potatoes, garbonzo beans, wheat, barley, also boiled rice can iratate the bowel…..my boy can’t have potatoes, wheat, barley, peas or boiled rice causes bad diarrhea but he can have grounded white rice in kibbles..I have Patch on a good dog probiotic, Karen Becker has good dog probiotic..here’s her video..
    http://probiotics.mercola.com/probiotics-for-pets.html

#56430 Report Abuse
    Elyse K

Susan,
    Yes she has been on the Metro and yes it does help, but the lousy poops and blood come back after awhile. That being said I do not want to keep medicating her and if a change in food can make that happen like it did with your pup then I will be a very happy Mom 🙂
    In looking for grain free and low fat (not that easy to find) I think I have narrowed it down to 3 choices…Wellness, Acana and Annamet. Will keep you posted

#56451 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

The problem with grainfree is they have peas, chick peas, lentils, these all can irratate the bowel causing problems…I tried the “Wellness Simple” Duck & Oatmeal & Lamb & Oatmeal as their fat % was the lowest 11%min-12.6%max-Duck & 12%min-13.6%max-lamb & there’s no potaotes in those kibbles, also they digested easily, the kibbles went soft when I left them in water for 1 min the Lamb went softer quicker then the Duck….I always do my kibble test, I found kibbles with potatos are harder kibbles & dont digest easily .. I soak a couple of kibbles in water then after 1 min, I put 1 kibble inbetween 2 teaspoons & crush, a good kibble will crush a hard kibble flings off the spoon & you cant crush them…….Patch went real good on the Wellness Simple with the Oats the first month, farting a little on the Lamb, the Duck he didnt fart as much, must of had less peas, but into the second month his afternoon poo became sloppy, I’d say from the peas, I was feeding the Simple for breakfast & his vet Diet Eukanuba Intestinal for dinner, if I try other foods for dinner we are up some nights with his bowel grumbling & rumbling, so I always give his vet diet at nights only…

Ive given up on trying commerical kibbles for now…..I was speaking to Patches vet yesterday & he told me to just stick with the Vet diet, as they are formulated especially for health problems & commerical diets aren’t.. I didnt listen to him last year & have been trying other kibbles, it just brings on flares, diarrhea, gas & sometimes vomiting, due to something irratating his stomach & bowel…..
    A few ladies from the IBDogs yahoo group are feeding “Rayne” diet invented by vets in Canada, I dont know if you can get “Raynes” in America, the K9-Sensitive-GI & the K9-Low fat/Novel Protein is especially made for Gastrointestinal & Pancreatitis health….the K9-Sensitive kibble looked good & the K9-Low Fat wet food looked good & the fat was only 9.6% fat % dry matter in the wet food….I dont think you can get a wet food with the fat that low 9.6%…. I can’t get Raynes here in Australia…. I’d give it a try, just to have another food I can fall back on & I also like to give something different for breakfast & his vet diet for dinner, I give tuna in spring water drained & about 1 tablespoon of boiled pumkin for breakfast & then some of his vet diet kibble 1/2 hour later ….

I think when they have IBD/Colitis Gastro problems its very hard finding a commerical, if ur girl did good on the Nutro stick with a kibble with around the same amount of protein% & Fat%, thats when I found Patch does better, when Ive tried kibbles with protein over 25% & fats 12-14%& over Patch doesnt do too well, I just wish these vet diets they’d improve their ingredients, I found that Eukanuba is the only one that doesnt use By-product meats & doesnt have wheat, rye, like Royal Canin use.. Good-luck..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.