CHINESE INGREDIENTS

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Food Ingredients CHINESE INGREDIENTS

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Susan B

Apologies in advance if I’m not doing this correctly – I’m new here! 🙂
    Regarding Nature’s Recipe dry dog food: Was feeding grain free salmon, sweet potato formula. Realized the bag did not say “made in USA” and that prompted a call to the 800 number. This company uses “some” vitamins and minerals from China and other countries. They claim they are “unable to get them in sufficient quantities in the US.” This is a MAJOR concern for me given the amount of damage Chinese ingredients did to some of our pets.

Obviously, I will not continue feeding this food (although my dog likes it). I am curious to read others comments and opinions on this topic. I’m seriously disturbed by the lack of what I perceive to be “honesty” in this company not noting on their bags that some ingredients come from China. Not a legal issue, but a moral issue, IMHO.

Thank you and I’ll check back next week for any comments. (I won’t have computer access until then).

#49531 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Susan –

Ingredient sourcing is discussed for the Editor’s Choice companies in their individual reports.

Unfortunately, it’s very common for companies (especially the larger ones it seems) to source at least some components of their vitamin-mineral premixes from China or other Asian countries. I believe it’s both a cost an a supply issue.

I’m not sure how you perceive this as being a lack of honesty though – the company was open with you about the fact that some of the components of their vitamin-mineral pre-mix are sourced from China.

Nature’s Variety was very open about this to Dr. Mike and myself during the interview process for Editor’s Choice. They also (last I purchased their products) make no claims on their packaging or website that their products are free of Chinese ingredients. I also can’t find any statements on their website implying that they don’t source ingredients from China. When they used to source rabbit from China it was openly disclosed on the FAQ section of their webpage. I, personally, don’t see any lack of honesty.

#49534 Report Abuse

HDM..poster said “Natures Recipe, not Natures Variety, so not sure if she “misspoke” or truly meant Natures Recipe..

#49537 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Thanks Melissa wow I can’t read today. 🙂 Disregard my previous post! LOL

#49706 Report Abuse
    Susan B

You are correct in stating it may not be a true “honesty” issue regarding the Chinese ingredients. Nonetheless, given the events of recent years related to Chinese ingredients in dog food, I do believe it to be a “lie by omission.” I would never knowingly feed my dog any food containing Chinese ingredients. Yes, they were “honest” when I called and questioned things, but really, that info should be on the bag so consumers can make an educated decision regarding what they will and will not feed their animals. That is my opinion.

#49708 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Well, I don’t think that there is one person that will disagree with you. I’m guessing that every single person that comes to this site wishes that information had to be on the bag. That is why they started the Editor’s Choice section. There are more in depth reviews on those foods, including where their ingredients are sourced from. It is frustrating, isn’t it? Good luck on your search!

#49709 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

While I can’t say that this is the case with every food that contains synthetic vitamins and minerals, but those that do use them are far more likely than not to contain ingredients sourced from China. Taurine in particular, from what I’ve read.

If you truly want China free products, you might take a look at Farmina, Nature’s Logic, The Honest Kitchen or Primal (Primal sources Taurine from Japan).

#49730 Report Abuse
    Susan B

Thank you both for your replies and recommendations. And yes, you are absolutely correct…I sincerely wish all ingredients and sources had to be on the bag. I just tried to join the Editor’s Choice forum but keep getting an error message. I’ll try again later. In the interim, I’ve purchased a bag of grain free and poultry free Castor & Pollux that has good reviews. I also have about half a bag of Merrick Grain Free Pork and Sweet Potato. My dog doesn’t seem to be overly fond of either but he’s going to just have to get used to it! LOL If I sprinkle a bit of canned salmon on his food along with a tablespoon of pumpkin puree he’ll gobble it.
    Again, I just find it astounding that companies are still using ingredients of Chinese origin and are not making that known on their bags.

#49731 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I hate to say it, Susan, but Merrick is one of those companies that I find very shady. I can tell that transparency is important to you and Merrick falls flat in that area.

Take a look at this warning letter to Merrick from the FDA while I look for others: http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/ucm217086.htm

#49732 Report Abuse
    Susan B

Wow! Just Wow!! I feel like banging my head down on the desk. I had believed Merrick to be a quality food. Honestly, if I could, I’d move to the Great Northwest and just go salmon fishing everyday since he LOVES salmon.

I need a grain free and poultry free quality food (with no Chinese ingredients) if anyone has any recommendations. I am going to check on those previously suggested, Honest Kitchen, etc., but finding something without grain and any form of poultry protein is difficult.

#49734 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

What about The Honest Kitchen’s new base mix Kindly, to which, you add your own fresh meat? THK actually has six grain free recipes now. I’ve tried Farmina and liked it ~ I found it to be budget friendly as well. Nature’s Logic isn’t grain free as it contains the pseudo grain, millet; but, it’s a great food.

If you haven’t already, you could take a look at Susan Thixton’s site. There are several companies that have signed her “Pledge.” “The Pledge” is a manufacturer’s statement of quality and origin of ingredients. I cannot say for certain (without going through each brand on the list) that all of those who have signed The Pledge are China Free; however, there is a specific column on the document where the manufacturer must indicate whether or not China is the country of origin for each ingredient. There aren’t a lot of foods on the list. There aren’t many kibbles. Some of the foods are frozen, raw diets that can only be shipped to certain locations, etc.; but, it’s a place to start and if nothing else, it’s interesting.

This link is to The Pledge, specifically: http://associationfortruthinpetfood.com/the-pledge/

Here’s another link to Susan’s regular site: http://truthaboutpetfood.com/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.