šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Lynn S

If you have a pet that has been tested for yeast its important to do research on dog food. My one heeler lost her fur around her eyes and non stop scratching even her muzzle. We even put her grain free dog food since our vet said it was an allergy with no relief what so ever. The allergy shot the vet gave her didn’t even work. Carbs turn into sugar which yeast like. Starch also feeds the yeast both are in dog food. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas, beans are starch. Potato protein is a starch. Pea flour is a starch. Tapioca is also a starch. These are just some of the ingredients that are in both grain free dog food and non grain free dog food.

#109623 Report Abuse
    Sheila H

Thank you so much for posting this. I am just about to start our Suzy on a round of Apoquel which has given her diarrhea in the past. She has a long history of allergies, especially yeast in her ear canals. I make her food at home, using chicken and rice. I will now use vegetables ground fine instead of rice to fill it out. She also gets a hearty side dish of cut green beans. No more carbs may just be our answer.

#109626 Report Abuse
    Lynn S

Your welcome. Remember starchy foods also feed yeast. Since putting my dog on a semi rae food. I cook the meat and use dog friendly fruit and veggies. I leave all starch and carbs out. By doing this she no longer as smelly itchy ears nor paws. Her fur and whiskers have grown back. She had even lost her fur on the inside of her back legs and on the bottom of her paws.

#109629 Report Abuse
    Sheila H

Could you tell me what specific “dog friendly” fruit and veggies you use? Thanks so much.

#109630 Report Abuse
    Lynn S

The website I went to. I leave out starch and carbs.
    https://m.petmd.com/dog/slideshows/nutrition/10-best-fruits-and-vegetables-dogs

#109631 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Lynn,
    you have it all wrong a dog will only react to starchy carbs if he has food sensititivies, Sweet Potatoes, Tapioca, Potatoes, Rice, Oats, etc do not cause yeast Dermatitis in dogs, I have a dog with IBD, Seasonal Evirvonment Allergies & Food Sensitivities I thought the same years ago until my vet explained he has food sensitivities & was put on a Hydrolyzed vet diet which was 60% carbs, we do a food elimination trial, & you keep a diary & as teh years pass you will see a Pattern as environment allergies can also cause Yeast Dermatitis as well Patch gets yeasty smelly paws from foods & environment & itchy smelly skin when he eats foods he’s sensitive too Chicken, Tapioca, Carrots he get itchy ears & shakes his head, he does real well on Sweet potatoes & Potatoes especially for his IBD, if you look at the vet diets for skin & food allergies they have Potato & a novel protein, it’s good to feed dogs a low carb diet but starch does not feed yeast, here’s Dr Karen Helton Rhodes a Dermatologist link “Facts & Myths about Yeast Dermatitis in Dogs”, Dr Karen Helton Rhodes is also on a F/B group called “Dog Issues, Allergies & Other Information Support Group” you’ll learn some really good stuff in that F/B group lots of help http://www.healthyskin4dogs.com/blog/2015/9/8/facts-myths-about-yeast-dermatitis-in-dogs,
    Start your dog on an elimation food diet, 1 novel protein & 1 carb & bath weekly or twice a week if itchy & smelly bath in an antibacterial medicated shampoo like “Malaseb medicated Shampoo to kill the yeast & to wash away any allergens on the skin.. also make sure you increase the omega 3 fatty acid in your dogs diet, feed foods like Tin Sardines & Tin Salmon in Spring water add 2 spoons to 1 meal of his a day or give 1 Krill Oil capsule a day with a meal.

#109641 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Great post Susan and excellent link with good information!

@ Lynn-

I was going to say the same thing, but Susan beat me to it. Yeast overgrowth is NOT fed by carbs/starch. This is a popular internet myth.

#109642 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

I agree! This is a myth that just doesn’t want to die!

Lynn I’m glad your dog is doing better. You wrote “I cook the meat and use dog friendly fruit and veggies. I leave all starch and carbs out.” When feeding fruits and vegetables you are feeding carbohydrate, some which likely is in the form of starch. But that is OK as you can’t change yeast growth on the skin from carbohydrate content in the diet.

P.S. Potato protein is like the name reports a source of protein, it is not a source of starch.

#109643 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Aimee, I think it would help greatly if Karen Becker would publically admit to being wrong about her diet recommendations for “starving yeast”. She is by far one of the most influential voices promoting this myth.

#109648 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

PitLove, I don’t think that will ever happen. She never seems to let science get in the way of her agenda.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.