🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ann F

I am looking for the best puppy food for my Shetland Sheep dog puppy. I want something that is not only nutritional bu promotes a healthy coat and reduces shedding.

Thanks

#74376 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Choose any 4 or 5 star rated food. I like Farmina, Annamaet, Dr. Tim’s & Nature’s Logic for kibble. I don’t believe any food reduces shedding. Most dogs shed, shelties will give you lots of hair to brush out.

#74382 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Hi Ann-

I second Marie’s recommendations for foods and would like to add Fromm, Nature’s Variety (which has all life stages formulas), Orijen and/or Acana (made by same company).

I have heard natural foods do help reduce shedding a bit, but with the breed you’ve chosen I doubt you will see a lot of difference. He/She will still need regular brushing to prevent matting and keeping up with the removal of the undercoat, especially if you live somewhere like I do (the south) where the summers are crazy hot.

#74399 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I second Marie and pitlove’s sentiments. Good food and regular brushing are key. My terrier mix sheds a ton, but on good food and supplements like coconut oil, canned sardines, fish skins, etc., his coat has become super shiny and soft, though shedding hasn’t stopped.

On another note… @pitlove, you live in the South too? So cool! So do I and a few other regulars (there are 3 of us in GA on here that I know of). I may be joining C4C up in the North-West sometime in the 5-year future, I hope! 🙂

#74431 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Naturella-
    I thought I posted this a minute ago, but it disappeared. Or I didn’t hit submit? So, sorry if it is duplicate. Also sorry that it is off topic!
    I just wanted to let you know that the US Open Golf Tournament starts today in our lovely state that you are going to move to. Not for 5 more years, huh? Bummer! Anyway, if I remember correctly, you visited the Tacoma area when you were here a while back. Well, that is where this tournament is being held. It is a HUGE deal according to my husband and the sports commentators, anyway! LOL! The weather has been great around here to prepare for it! Take a look!

#74433 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Hi Ann-the best route for Shelties are regular brushing and grooming to reduce shedding. Mine get groomed every 6 weeks (bathe, brush, blow out-Shelties shouldn’t really need to be trimmed much and definitely never clipped or shaved) and I brush a few times a week. Weather and brushing/grooming intervals are all that really affect those double coated breeds. Pick a few high quality foods and rotate

#74438 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Naturella- Yes! I moved to Louisiana last July. I lived in CT before that. Much different weather so my dog sheds pretty bad even though hes short coated. I do really enjoy it down here, but its really common for dogs to be “outside” dogs around here and I feel bad for them when the weather gets in the 100s

#74442 Report Abuse
    Naturella

@crazy4cats, I have never been to WA. My husband grew up in Olympia and I would love to visit and settle down in WA, Oregon, or Colorado… Although I am worried about the fracking stuff going on in CO… Anyway, I bet it is gorgeous up there, I seriously can’t wait to check it out myself!

@pitlove
    , I know, right? I wish people had more common sense down here than to leave dogs outside in the blasting heat or walk them on hot asphalt/cement/concrete/pavement… My Bruno is short/medium-haired double-coated dog and he sheds a ton… all the time… LoL.

#74502 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Naturella- Its like a thing down here in LA it seems. I see SO many dogs outside on tie-outs and they are usually left out there all day if not most of the day. in CT you never really saw dogs outside. It was rare. And I never saw stray dogs or dogs running around in the road. I see it all the time down here now. I’m constantly dodging dogs running out of their yards when Im driving down here.

My boyfriends family Rottweiler is the “outside dog” he comes in at night but its to a small bathroom in the garage. Better than nothing I guess? he just tested HW + too and the vet said he was ok outside…couldnt believe it! but I have no say in anything about him and our apartment is too small for us to have him up here and my cat is terrified of him as well. Feel so bad for him.

#74506 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

@Naturella- It’s illegal now in some areas, and I think that will continue for most of the front range (the only part you’d want to live in ;)) and maybe the state. I hope at least.

#74507 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Im lost whats fracking. I dont watch the news if its been on the news at all

#74508 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Digging into the ground and injecting chemicals to help natural gas and water flow, essentially. Unfortunately the effects of the chemicals don’t outweigh the benefits, imo. I’m not super informed on it myself, even though I live in a fracking state

#74510 Report Abuse
    Naturella

@aquariangt, I totally forgot you live in a fracking state! If we do decide to move there, may I consult with you on good areas to live in? Lol!

#74514 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Of course!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.